One

I'm running.

My feet are pounding on the earth as fast as I can make them. I look up, and I'm momentarily blinded by the pieces of sunlight that are able to pass through the thick brush. It's morning, and they've already found me. I keep my breath steady, and look forward in one direction. I hear the barking of guard dogs faintly behind me, as well as the siren of the police cars. My heartbeat is the one thing I truly hear, the metronome calmly beating out its rhythm as if nothing will happen. But of course it's so loud, because I know that if I'm captured, something will happen. I'll be taken away, forced to live the rest of my life in their world, not the one I've fought so hard to gain. The one that almost cost me my life. The one where I have a chance of freedom, completely worth the sacrifices. How else could you live? I have no desire to be caged like an animal that wishes it could be set free, more than anything in the world. It would die, just to be free.

I suddenly flash back to my home. The morning light blurred in the curtains, but still visible through the cracks. It's funny how so many things can be different, so many variables between your past life and the one you live now, but some things never change, like the sun shining bright in the morning, momentarily leaving you with a moment of awe, as you groggily start your day to that one piece of familiarity. Well, at least for me.

Not today though. I am awake, alert, and already running for my life. The dew is still all over the forest, and the smell of nature only helps me to keep going, to get to where I can smell this and be free, and truly enjoy it, and everything else around me. Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for everything I have, but freedom is the one thing that it seems like I'll never have, and that only makes it so much more sweet for me. It's like a chocolate scoop of ice cream topped with whipped cream, syrup, sprinkles, and a cherry. The only way I can do that is to outrun their system, which I have never permanently done. 

They are still on my tail, and if I wish to ever evade them, I will have to pick up the pace. I know that may seem impossible, but when you've worked at it this long, you know that you never truly have limits unless you believe that mindset. As long as you constantly push yourself to the limit, anything is possible. I begin to gain