💙💚 Chapter 3 💚💙

Clarke POV

The fish darts away from us.

" Fuck" Octavia says, annoyed.

I groan in disappointment when my knife hits a mossy rock instead. I frown, mentally going over it again. It must have seen us shadow. I'll have to be more careful next time.

I turn to Octavia and tap the shoulder. She look up to me. [ Fish see us, look at shadow?] I sign, try explain to her hope understand what I say.

Octavia nod it mean she understand! I smile.

Out of the corner of my eye, i see movement that isn't from the river. The dark shape is definitely moving. I stand up quickly, water ripping from where my hands were in the river and stumble back. With I automatic grabs of Octavia's arm and bring with me to back. Octavia notice it. The shape  unfurls and we watch in horror as a big snake like thing swims with frightening speed toward us. The water we're in is shallow, so we should be safe, but we get our ass out of the water as fast as we can anyway.

We didn't make it to the ground just so we could die by being eaten by a giant water snake.

After a moment, it moves back to its cove and we feel like we can breathe again. Once my mind catches up. I let out a confused huff. I haven't heard of any creature like this in my Earth Studies class. No matter how much I disagree with that bastard Pike and his morals (or lack of them), he was a bit good teacher and taught us every but of information we might need on earth. Luckily, I excelled in the class so hopefully we won't die of starvation or exposure or something survival related.

I let go of my curiosity about the demon snake and crouch down, watching the dark spot. We slowly fill the canteen, careful not to make too many ripples. If my theory is correct, the snake's skin (or scales, I was too busy surviving to look intensely at it) are sensitive and it can feel when something moves in the water.

Knowing it'll bug us for the rest of the day at least, I decide to confirm my theory. I pick up a small rock from the shallow part of the river and throw it into the deeper part. In a flash, the snake goes over. Theory confirmed.

Satisfied, we can the canteen and begin walking back to our camp. I try to keep my steps light and quiet, Octavia copy same as me, keeping and ear (for Octavia) out for anything edible. Something bristles in a tree above us and Octavia turn, I turn too, holding my knife. I guess it to be an animal. Could it be a human? No, of course not. They all died when the bombs went off. Right?

We eyes the tree suspiciously before turning back towards the direction of the camp. Then, Octavia stop and hear again, there's a noise in the bushes below the tree, I notice it a moves. I crouch again, quietly making my way around it to see what we're dealing with. To my surprise, it's a rabbit. But it isn't small like the books said. It's up to my knees in height with long, thin legs.

We're behind it and out of its sight, but I know it's sense of smell and hearing will he the greatest difficulty if it's anything like the Old Earth rabbits.

Once I'm in a good stance, I almost ready but Octavia begins yells excited make the rabbit turn look at us then really jump running away, lucky  I was close it. I quickly jump and I grab it's body as it squeaks angrily beneath me, gnashing its teeth together. I plunge my knife into its neck, knowing I hit it's carotid artery. Blood seeps from it's wound and soaks brown fur as I pull my knife out. It lets out a soft growl before it drops, dead.

I ignore the guilt rolling in my stomach and pick it up. I turn look at Octavia who a shocked. I shake my head. We head back to our make shift camp. Raven turned look at us and sigh of relief, I just set the rabbit and three fish on the seat in the pod and close the door to keep predators out.

Octavia explained to Raven that what happened. Once Octavia finished, Raven shake the head.

" Almost bit you guys by big snake and you get excited try get a rabbit and it try run away but lucky Clarke just grab it very quickly? Whoa, I wish I go see it myself." Raven says, very disappointed sigh.

I went to the cargo hatch. I opened it and saw other supplies in it. There wasn't much but it was something. I pull out a back pack and started to look through it.

There was a compass, a matches, more bandage and a first aid kit. There was some other stuff in it too. I searched through the rest of the stuff and found a dad's notebook. I looked at it. It was drawing of berries and plants, steps on how to make a fire and other things we would need to survive.

" YES!" I cheers. I look up to them. Raven and Octavia was shock what I just say. " what?" I confused, Raven walk to me then, [ you can speak?!] She sign, excited.

< oh, that's why.> as i nod it, [ yes i can but only word.] I sign.

[Oh I see, maybe we can teach you how speak more next time. So what we do with?] Raven sign.

[ Thank you, yes I just find my dad's notebook about how make a fire and some pick correct berries and plants. So I can go pick more berries and plants for us and you guys can go pick more a sticks and dead leaves for fire.] I sign.

Raven nod it and explain to Octavia. They begin go other way and I go other way, I hike the surrounding area, picking up berries and plants, I recognize as edible and not poisonous as well. My arms fill quickly and I have to make frequent trips back to the camp. I notice it them not here then to put the plants and berries on the ground outside the pod.

I make a circle of rocks a few metres away from the pod and camp. As a finished as Raven and Octavia arrive with fill a sticks and leaves, I set up the sticks and put in a few dead leaves, grabbing the two rocks. I lean over the tent of sticks and strike them against each other like we were shown on class because oxygen in the Ark is always an issue, Pike showed us using two stones that would not ignite but my dad's notebook better than Pike.

To my surprise, after half a dozen tries sparks begin to fly and smoke comes from our fire pit. After another two, there's a small fire and I let out a victorious whoop.

"Yes! Finally!" Octavia join cheers.

[ Good work!] Raven sign, happy.

Raven set up a rig to hold up the rabbit. She get it from the pod and make sure to close the door behind us. Octavia grab some rope like things she saw hanging from trees and use them to tie it's feet to the rig. It dangles over the fire and the smell of cooking meat makes us mouth water. If it smells that amazing, it must taste fantastic.

[ Clarke, I bet it better than on Ark food. Look forward for it.] Raven sign.

[Yes, me too, of course food is better than on Ark.] I sign, check out the cooking.

Once it seems cooked, I slice at it to make sure and feel pride in my chest when it looks good. I set it on a nearby big stump that I cleaned earlier, grimacing at the thought of the germs and bugs and making it mental note to make plates and bowls too.

I use my knife to cut into it, give it to Octavia and Raven. We eat as the sun sets, marvelling at the sight as the reds and yellows turn to purple before everything goes dark.

I yawn, exhausted after such an eventful day. [ Hey, we should go sleep because I'm very tired.] I sign.

[ yes, me too.] Raven sign, yawn and stand up. " it's time we go sleep now, O." Raven says, Octavia nod.

We get back into the tent and settle into it. Say goodnight to them. I close my eyes and fall sleep almost instantly.

💙💚💙💚💙💚

Let me know what you think about the story so far.
If you want any a question please let me know in comments and votes.
Thank you for reading.
🧡 Stay awesome! 🧡
🤟 Love you loads! 🤟
✌💪✌💪