//40//

a/n I listened to robbers by the 1975 while writing this and I'm crying ok bye

--
We were so close to the gate. There was a huge, high metal gate with barbed wire at the top: like in the war films, and we were almost at it as we ran, becoming fear itself as the guards began to follow us. Karina, hands shaking, gripped the key until her knuckles turned white like the hot white pain in my legs, and then we got to the gate. Wordlessly Karina shoved the key into the padlock and twisted with a tremor at the effort, a nervous sick feeling swirling in my stomach as the sound of alarms swept like an ululation across the grass and took over my hearing. I heard gun shots and someone shouted from only a few meters away- we're going to get caught, we're going to get caught.

Then Ashton pushed the gate open, not giving me time to appreciate what we'd just done before I was shoved into a car, the sound of an engine roaring as I felt it move. I couldn't lift my head, so instead I stayed with it buried into the seat- my body becoming fatigued as I caught my breath and took a moment to realise what we'd just done.

We'd escaped Havershem.

We were free.

"Oh my god we're out." I blurted, suddenly sitting up straight to see that we were in a camper van type vehicle. I got a whimper-type-groan in response from my left and I panicked when I saw it.

Karina had been shot.

"Karina no!" I gasped, letting go of Ashton's hand and turning to the dark haired girl who was clutching her thigh and crying.

"We need to go to a hospital!" Ashton exclaimed but Karina shook her head.

"Z-Zack is a- a- doctor too," she said weakly, motioning to the guy who was driving.

"We need to drive as far as we can- I can't look at her until we're far enough away so they can't find us." Zack said calmly. "Karina, baby, can you tell me how bad it is- rate the pain."

"N-nine." she yelped as she tried to move her leg, "Zack I love you."

"Don't say that, you're not going back to die, it's your leg you're going to be okay I promise Kari." Zack said from the front of the van, "but I love you too."

"You're together?" I asked, wondering if it was appropriate in this situation although I figured it might help Karina distract from the pain.

"Y-yeah I'm going to be Karina Merrick." Karina smiled softly before her expression twisted to pain again, cries escaping her lips and tears creeping down her cheeks.

"Alright I'm pulling over I can't bare to see you in this much pain." Zack stated, pulling off of the motorway and onto the grass.

"You okay?" Ashton mumbled and I nodded.

"I hope she's okay." I whispered as Karina let Zack look at her injured leg, him crying and kissing her because they hadn't seen each other in... 3 years? "she's my best friend I don't want to see her like this- she doesn't deserve it." I mumbled as Karina screamed and buried her head in Zack's shoulder. He was taking the bullet out.

"Breathe for me, I know it hurts but it won't be too bad once it's done. Breathe." Zack repeated and Karina sobbed and I rubbed her back.

"Fuck you Zack this hurts." Karina whimpered with a slight chuckle, wincing as Zack wiped the wound with antiseptic before bandaging it up.

"Your leg may be injured but that doesn't mean you can talk to me like that," Zack chuckled, smiling and kissing her lips before closing the door and getting back in the drivers seat.

"Now drive baby drive." Karina shouted, letting out a yelp when she accidentally moved her leg.

"Sit down and go to sleep, both of you," Ashton giggled, playing with my hair.

"No wait you guys need to get changed first." Zack said, "there's clothes in the back."

I reached into the boot and grabbed the bag, reaching for some jeans and a t shirt.

We got changed, Karina not feeling awkward at all considering Ashton and I were aggressively homosexual and head over heels in love with one another, and I chucked the horrible orange jumpsuits backwards.

"You look so fuckable in jeans babe," Ashton whispered to me and I blushed as he pushed my head up and connected our lips, both of us smiling into the kiss because we were free.

Now we were runaways.

--
a/n
ok so I have a few more chapters planned
~Teddy