Chapter One - Sophie

Tick. Tick. Tick.

The classroom was silent, only the ticking of the clock and the scribble of pencils filling the air. Blonde hair cast across Sophie's face as she put her head against the cool surface of her desk. She had finally given up on the very intense staring contest she and the clock were having; staring at the time only seemed to move slower.

Feeling eyes burning into the top of her head, she picks up her head from the desk, meeting her teacher's gaze. He was slumped in his chair, arms folded across his chest. His lips were drawn into a tight line. Sophie smiled gently and picked up her pen, diverting her attention to the worksheet she had not yet started.

Sophie stared at her paper for about a minute before giving up on the work once more and drawing scribbles on the edge of the paper. She didn't understand any of what the teacher taught but she refused to ask for help from the teacher; he creeped her out, and she had a small feeling he didn't particularly like her.

After what seems like hours, the bell finally rings. Sophie springs up from her feet and shoves the paper into her backpack, never to be seen again. She could barely hear her teacher and she sprinted out the door. "Have a good weekend everybody. Make sure to complete your assignment."

Sophie raced across the school to the locker room when someone called her name, making her stop dead in her tracks. "Sophie!"

The blonde turned to see who was calling her and was greeted with a familiar pair of blue eyes, running to catch up with her. Sophie smiled as Linh hooped her arm through Sophie's and pulled her forward, continuing the journey to the locker room.

"You ready?" Linh winks at Sophie while nudging her through the doors. "Game day!"

Their teammate Stina glares at them as she pulls her bag out of her locker. "Shut up."

Stina forces them apart while pushing past them. Sophie rolls her eyes, sharing a look with Linh. "I wonder what her problem is today."

Linh shrugs as she struggles to open her locker. "Who knows with her?"

Sophie laughs, pulling her open her already unlocked locker. Like Linh, she struggled to open her locker. Her solution: Not closing it completely so she didn't have to unlock it everytime.

"I need to start doing that." Linh sighed as she pulled open her locker after her 30th attempt.

Sophie smiles. "Probably."

The duo jumps as the locker room door slams open, a brunette scrambling through the doorway, almost falling on her face. Her eyes light up when she sees Sophie and Linh. "Will you guys wait for me? My teacher let us out late and I don't want to walk there by myself."

Sophie and Linh laugh. "Yeah sure, Biana."

"Thank you." Biana shoves her uniform into her bag. "I can probably get my brother to give us a ride to the field. They don't have practice or anything tod-" She stopped in her tracks. "Wait. We're wearing black-black-white today right?"

Sophie sighs. This girl really was a mess. "Yes."

"Okay good. I was about to freak out."

"I thought you already were." Linh teases as Biana marches out of the locker room.

"Oh, ha. Ha."

Biana skips to a small white car and pulls on the handle, climbing inside before ushering Sophie and Linh to get in the back. Sophie and Linh glanced at each other before rushing to get in. They were already running late and it would take them another five minutes to get to the field if they walked.

"Hurry up." Biana prods them. As soon as the last door closes, she's telling her brother to drive.

"Hey guys." Fitz looks at the girls in the rearview mirror. Sophie looks away when she meets his eyes, feeling her face heat up.

"You were the one taking forever to gather your things." Linh pokes the back of Biana's neck as she buckles her seat belt.

Biana places her hands over her heart, pretending to be hurt. "I have no idea what you're talking about."

Fitz chuckles and Biana turns to him, eyes narrowing. "And what are you laughing at?"

"That does sound like you." He looks at his younger sister with a smile.

Biana stares at him silently before huffing and turning away. "Shut up." Sophie smiles at their bickering.

The rest of the car ride isn't very long, but silence fills the air. No one knew what to say. Biana unbuckles her seat belt before the car even stops. When the car does stop, she immediately jumps out, leaving the door open. Her brother and friends watch her retreating form in disbelief.

"Alright then," Sophie mutters, unbuckling her own seatbelt.

Linh laughs as she follows suit. "Don't worry Fitz. I'll be the hero and close the door."

Fitz rolls his eyes. "Thank you."

"Thanks for the ride." Sophie almost trips stepping out of the car.

Worry flashes in Fitz's eyes, but it disappears as quickly as it came. "You're welcome."

"Yeah, thank you. Coach would've had our heads if we were late." Linh winks at Sophie.

"Maybe I'm the hero then." He winks.

Sophie rolls her eyes, closing her door and walking up the portable ramp. Linh waves goodbye to Fitz as she catches up to her, linking arms. Sophie smiles and nudges her. "The hero everybody needed."