Shinjo Castle

"Tengen,"

His father studied him with cold, unmoving eyes.

"This mission will be the single most important mission you have ever undertaken."

The upper floor wasn't like the other ones; the lower ones were plain and made of dark wood, perfectly adequate for a mansion but giving little impression to the outsider as to what occurs there. The upper floor, in contrast, was extravagant: rich, reddish wood served as the foundation, artistically shaped dragon statues that housed paper lamps to provide illumination at night, hanging wall scrolls that contained kanji reading various shinobi mantra, tatami flooring weaved with the finest of cloth, shoji doors with beautiful illustrations painted on it, etc. The floor emanated nobility and decadence. It was reserved only for the head of the clan, his cabinet, veteran shinobi, important guests, and servants (women whose free will was taken by the clan).

For many in the Uzui Clan, it was their dream to be allowed to enter and sit in the main room to discuss clan politics. Being allowed onto the upper floor was the highest privilege anyone could receive, for it meant being accepted as a full member of the Clan and recognized for outstanding achievement and merit. Not even Lord Uzui's own children were allowed onto this floor with the exception of Shingen, who no one ever interacted with. Now, Tengen was here, sitting in the same room as his father, who sat at the end of the room, and the elders, who sat surrounding Tengen on his left and right. For him to be up here, this mission must truly be a serious life-changing matter.

"I understand."

Tengen spoke dutifully and curtly. Usually he would not be so proper around his father, but even he understood how significant this briefing was, his anxiety compounded by the many eyes staring at him.

Lord Uzui stared at him for a long moment. There was nothing more to say; the government, wanting to consolidate the country into a peaceful land, had privately consulted the Uzui Clan to cause a ruckus at Shinjo Castle so that they may more smoothly capture the castle and force Lord Fuzikura to obey the government's new doctrine. Having said that, it made sense for Tengen to be dismissed right then and there so that he may be on his way. But he wasn't. Not just yet.

His father's eyes lingered on his own in a moment of intimacy and strangeness. The room was silent with all eyes focused on the young shinobi. Tengen, uncomfortable with this, began to scrunch his brows and give his father a puzzled look. Then, he finally spoke,

"Tengen. You are by far the brightest shinobi among the Uzui Clan. Your skill with the blade is unmatched, and your expert handling of many deadly assignments has greatly shown your immense aptitude and competence on the battlefield. Even your brother, Shingen, cannot measure up to how great of an asset you have become. But, you have a fatal flaw. Your one weakness - the thing that holds you back the most - is your attitude."

Tengen was silent. Without looking back, his father gestured behind himself with his hand towards the painting depicting a dark night sky and a bright white full moon. Below them was a field of tall-standing and feather-y pampas grass blowing in the wind. The main focus of the illustration was a black figure sitting refined. He gripped a blade and was driving it across his belly while the blood that sprayed out was strikingly red - a contrast to the rest of the dull colors. The picture was gruesome, but also beautiful in a way,

"Do you know what this is?"

Tengen gulped, paying attention.

"This is a painting that has been in this room since the clan was founded. The tall grass and night sky represent emptiness and isolation. The man is alone, committing seppuku of his own volition with no one to witness his death. The blood sprays and stains nature, a symbol of his dedication to this decision. But the true meaning of this painting,"