Chapter 14: My Heart Is Yours

The hotel room is lit up by a dim light coming from a night light on Levi's side of the bed, it mixes in with a slight blue flicker from the television opposite them. Levi is wide awake after a long day, after the best day, and he is eyeing the sleeping Nico next to him. Nico Kim-Schmitt, his husband. The thought still makes him smile wide, and as he does so, he can feel his cheek muscles hurting from smiling so much that day.

He looks up at the ceiling now, feeling completely at ease as he allows his head to rest on the pillow. The blue flicker from the television makes some of the shadows dance on the white paint, and Levi follows them while losing himself into thinking about the day.

"I knew we shouldn't have worn ties, they are way too formal for a park wedding, anyway!" Levi had been freaking out to Taryn.

"Calm down, I've got this," Taryn said and flicked away Levi's fumbling hands from his tie.

"My dad wore a tie to work every day for 20 years. I can make a mean tie," she said confidently. Levi accepted the help right away, taking in some deep breaths while Taryn put her money where her mouth was.

"Can you believe this is actually happening?" Levi asked.

Taryn looks at Levi with kind eyes, a small smile spreading across her lips.

"Yes, Levi. I can."

Levi's lips curve into a smile at the thought and his heart fills with gratitude towards his best friend. He knows he had chosen the right best man for the job, he had needed Taryn's tough love on a day like today, being the nervous guy he still sometimes was. All throughout his panicking at her apartment since the moment he woke up, to feeling nauseous around food all day, to desperately trying to finish his vows in the car over to the ceremony, Taryn had been there to calm him, or sometimes slap him or force feed him in order to snap him out of it and see the bigger picture.

Levi's thoughts then wander to his mother. His mother was there, all day, happier than he had ever seen her. Seeing she had some trouble accepting him and Nico in the beginning, she had come a long way and Levi appreciates it more than anything.

Myrna's hand had been grasping that of Levi's way too tightly, as they were standing behind a tree near the ceremony spot.

"Mum! I'm gonna lose blood flow to my fingers!" Levi said and vinced while he tried to break free.

"I'm sorry, sweetheart, I just can't... I can't believe my baby boy is getting married," Myrna said and Levi could tell she was on the verge of tears. He reached in to hug her and kissed her cheek.

"Thank you for everything, mum. I would not be here without your help, and I really mean it," Levi smiled as a single tear escaped Myrna's eye.

It felt like slow motion, walking with his mother to where Nico was standing. The scenery was so beautiful, the weather was more overcast than what he would have liked, but the sun managed to peak through every now and then. Nico's eyes near the pond calmed Levi's mind when he felt nervous energy all throughout his body while walking to his destination. There were only ten guests and it wasn't a long way to Nico, but Levi could feel all the eyes on him and felt very warm at that moment. Finally, he was there, holding Nico's hands.

"Hi," Levi said and smiled.

"Hi," Nico said back.

They shared a nervous chuckle and then turned to look at Jo who was standing in front of them.