Prologue

Harry James Potter sat outside the front gates of a place he once called home, destroyed beyond recognition. His eyes scanned the grounds of Hogwarts only to see the dead bodies of his friends and classmates, with whom he had spent the last half a dozen years growing up. Holding back tears Harry slowly got up. His body aching from being on the run for months, hunting Horcruxes without proper food or water.

It had only been half an hour since he defeated Voldemort. Harry stood there while silent tears rolled down his blood-stained face. As he remembered all the innocent people that had lost their lives, all the people that he lost.

Cedric, Sirius, Remus, Dobby, and Fred. Thinking about them felt like a stab in the gut. He had failed them, he should have done more, he could have done better. Still seeing their faces every time he tried to sleep. Nightmare.... after nightmare, a never-ending cycle.

Cedric was murdered in front of him, by the same person that betrayed his parents, the same person his father once called one of his best friends. Sirius falling through the veil of death, holding Dobby as he bled to death after saving him and his friends' lives at Malfoy Manor. Remus and Tonk's dead bodies lying in the great hall, knowing that the newlyweds will never get to see their newborn baby boy grow up to be a man. Finally, Fred his brother in everything that counted getting crushed by an explosion that caused the wall to collapse on him, if only he could have gotten there sooner. If only he could have saved them.

He could not take it anymore he turned around, after sparing one last glance at everything, and apparited out of there. Once at number 12 Grimmauld Place, after making sure no one was there, Harry changed the wards not letting anyone come in except Kreature his house-elf. Then he proceeded to head up the stairs to his godfather's room, he was out cold in a few minutes finally allowing the exhaustion to get to him. His last thoughts were how different his life would have been if Sirius never ended up in Azkaban.