Chapter Two

The bird stayed silent for a few minutes before speaking again. "...Yes, they live over this way." Hunter felt a pull, like he wanted to move, turn his head. He stayed stiff though, ignoring it for a few seconds. But he needed to fix this, and they were the only possible people that he had any contact with that knew wild magic. He turned, walking off in the direction he felt pull him in. His legs felt numb, like it wasn't exactly him that was walking. But then it was at the same time. Like someone walking with him, but in the same place he was. The wings were uncomfortable under his cloak, he didn't like them, and squared his shoulders. Focus on something else, Hunter. The sky? He turned his head up. No, then he wouldn't be alert to what was around him. He looked back to where he was walking. "No one's out here, you could take it off." Hunter shook his head. "Oh, Titan, no. I'm not stumbling across some random people and risking- Whatever's gonna happen." He didn't want to think about what would, really. It scared him. Not that he was going to say that out loud. He shoved some branches out of the way, ducking, letting himself be led. "It's alright to be scared." The bird chimed in. Hunter gave a sarcastic laugh. "Fear doesn't solve problems, it doesn't help you fix them." He felt the wings flap under his cloak, and he pulled it tighter over himself. "It'd be faster if we flew." The palisman added, switching the topic. Hunter grimaced. "And if we get caught? What if someone sees us? Or attacks us? What happens if someone from the coven spots us? That'll be the worst one." He shook his head. "We're not going to fly." The two stayed in silence for a minute. "We'd get there faster if we did. Then we can fix it." Flapjack threw in again. Hunter continued walking in silence, refusing. The wings fluttered. The feeling was uncomfortable, he wasn't used to it. He managed to tolerate it a couple more minutes, then finally took the cloak off, folding it up and tucking it under his arm to carry. Hunter felt some wind behind him, the wings expanding, and all of a sudden there was a loud flap, and he was rocketing off the ground. He gave a startled yell, flailing a moment as they started soaring over the trees, before realizing he was still carrying his cloak and pulling it up to his chest. He drew in breaths, shaky, trying to keep his eyes open despite himself. "Flapjack!" He shrieked. "I said we're not flying!" His voice was unsteady, and he stared down at the ground, watching it slowly getting smaller and smaller as they went higher up. "And I said it'll be faster." The bird retorted, the wings flipping down to push them forward. "You want to fix this, right?" Hunter gave a reluctant nod after a moment of consideration. "Well, flying will get this fixed faster! Just try and enjoy it for a moment." The guard took a slow breath, dizzy, the fluctuating emotions starting to get to him now. But he tried focusing on the scenery, nonetheless, watching the trees and the ground glide by under him. It did look nice, he had to admit, and flying without needing a staff made him feel oddly open. He let a small smile form on his face, deciding to face the clouds and looking ahead of him. Hunter held a free hand out, shutting his eyes in bracing and letting it run through the white that decorated the sky. He opened his eyes again and chuckled, remembering his gloves, before returning to scanning the ground. He saw a house, in the corner of his eye, and felt the wings tuck in as he turned to look at it. He yelled again, gripping his cloak to his chest in comfort as they dived all of a sudden. Barely before they hit the ground, the wings ripped open, slowing them down, and he stumbled into a standing position in front of the house. He nearly tripped, shakily breathing and quickly putting his cloak on again. Hunter felt the wings pull in as he did so, talking quietly to Flapjack and looking over the house. "...So, this is the Owl House?" His gaze paused on the owl head that was set inside the doorway. "Yep, this is it. I escaped here in Luz's bag for a bit, before I met you." The palisman replied. Hunter started taking cautious steps towards the door, stopping in front of it and knocking. The owl's face looked like it was asleep, at least. He shifted on his feet, rocking back and forth on and off his heels as he waited. The door swung open, the head letting out a startled yell as it was woken up, and he was faced with a grumpy-looking Owl Lady standing in front of him. "Who are you?" She said after a moment, aiming her staff at him.