*•.♡ Working through the Night ♡.•*

With every step you took towards the Kamisato Estate, the feeling of dread only grew. Your mom was sure to ask you a million questions about where you had been, and not to mention you had to see off all the guests.....you sighed, rubbing your temples.

"Commissioner!" one of the guests ran up to you and Ayato as you arrived, an eager smile on his face. "This was a lovely party! I hope to see you and your wife again at the Asagao ball," he said.

The color from your face drained as you heard those words. The Asagao ball was a ball organized by the nobles to celebrate the abolition of the Sakoku decree, thanks to the famous traveler. But it was still another meaningless social event that you forced yourself to attend every year. And...it was tomorrow.

"Of course, we'll be there," you replied, trying your best to muster a convincing smile. "We look forward to seeing you," Ayato said, taking your hand. You looked up to see a smile across his lips, but it didn't hide the fatigue in his eyes.

.

.

.

You plopped onto the floor inside the Yashiro headquarters and sat cross-legged as you placed your head in your hands. The last guest had finally left and it was late night. Thoma had finished cleaning up and left, so it was just you and Ayato.

(pretend its night ;-;)

You watched as Ayato went over to his desk and sat down, flipping through the never-ending stack of paper on his desk.

"Shouldn't you get some rest?" you yawned, stretching. "I still have some business to attend to, but you should sleep. I can ask Hisashi to accompany you back to the Miyazaki Estate if you'd like," he said, looking up from his work.

"Well, about that...is it okay if I stay here for just a while longer?" you asked, your fingers drawing various patterns on the floor.

The truth was simply that you didn't want to face your mother. You were the head of the Estate yet confronting your mother still made you shudder. She could be the most intimidating person on Earth, and you didn't have the energy to face her questions about your whereabouts during the party.

"So you're saying you want to spend the night with me?" Ayato asked, his expression neutral as he glanced back down at his work.

"No, that's not what I meant!" you clarified, sitting up straight. "I just wanted to rest here for a while before heading back..." you lied, hoping it would convince him.

He chuckled, grabbing his pen. "Rest over here, it's much warmer," he said, patting the empty spot next to him. As much as you wanted to decline, your current spot by the door was too chilly for that.

You slowly got up and walked over, catching a glimpse of the documents he was reading as you sat next to him. Your head started to hurt just trying to make out the words on the page, and you wondered just how much work the Yashiro Commissioner had to shoulder.

Drowsy, you tried to stay awake but this new spot was indeed much warmer and it did nothing to help you. You watched as Ayato started to write, his penmanship as elegant as him. The curves of his handwriting were smooth and it looked effortless.

Originally, you had thought that being alone with a man you barely knew would be awkward, but his presence was strangely comforting instead.

You were about to doze off when you heard a soft melody. You looked up at Ayato as he flipped through the papers, quietly humming a sweet and calming tune. "My mother used to sing this song to me and Ayaka when we were younger," he murmured, a small melancholic smile forming on his lips.

"Was that...before your father passed away?" you asked, slowly.

He nodded with a wistful look in his eyes, one full of sentiment yet tinged with sorrow. "Back when my sister and I didn't have a care in the world," he replied, calmly. "But we all have to grow up at some point."

Your heart ached as you watched him proceed with his work as if he were used to this sadness.

Unable to help yourself, you leaned in and hugged him, resting your head on his shoulder. "It was hard, wasn't it.." you whispered, all too familiar with his situation. The feeling of losing a loved one early was one you had struggled with and you knew how lonely it felt.

You noticed Ayato momentarily stop writing as he froze for a few seconds and you expected him to move away. Instead, he quietly chuckled, resuming his work. As he started softly humming again, the melody lulled you and you were asleep before you knew it. 

-x-

If you liked the chapter, don't forget to leave a vote or comment! :D

Also, look at this amazing picture I found on Pinterest. (Smol ayaya >.< )

I swear this man is legit the epitome of all beauty and elegance-