Chapter Two

...

"NO, NO... Shhhh... Shush... Shhhhh!" Garfield's frantic voice filled the room as he rushed to the screaming Beast Boy, only to witness him faint and topple backward. "Okay..." He spoke in a defeated tone, shaking his head. "And this is why we don't break rule number one."

Running a hand through his disheveled hair, Garfield paced back and forth, his mind racing to devise a solution. Despite the unsettling turn of events, he concluded that continuing with the plan remained the best course of action.

"It's okay... He- I... God, I hate time travel..." He increased his pace, his breathing growing increasingly erratic. "He... I... We'll just convince ourselves it was all a dream and hopefully not dwell on it too much." He resolved, his voice filled with a mixture of desperation and determination, before refocusing on the task at hand.

Returning to the glass cases, Garfield meticulously scrutinized each secure box until his eyes landed on the desired label: "Warp's Time Machine Device." An eager smile formed on his face as he approached the case, only to be met with disappointment when he realized that it was empty, the device conspicuously absent.

"Shit..." Garfield exhaled deeply, attempting to quell his rising panic. "It's okay... Everything will be okay. Maybe they temporarily moved it. Or perhaps Vic is examining it. Or maybe he's in the process of destroying it right now, and I'll be trapped in the past forever." He wept, his voice tinged with anxiety.

Shaking his head to regain composure, Garfield turned his attention back to his younger self, still unconscious on the floor. With a long, annoyed sigh, he accepted the task at hand. Bending down, he effortlessly lifted his fourteen-year-old self onto his shoulder and proceeded to the room's exit.

Opening the door with utmost caution, he peered into the hallway, ensuring that the coast was clear. His movements were calculated, checking every corner before dashing down the hallways, repeating the process over and over again.

Navigating the labyrinthine corridors proved especially treacherous, but Garfield's determination propelled him forward. Finally, he reached his bedroom door, his heart racing as he swiftly entered the room and shut the door behind him, releasing a long, exasperated breath.

He steadied his breathing, wiping the beads of sweat off his brow, relieved to have made it without being detected. However, that relief was quickly replaced with disgust as he surveyed his unkempt surroundings.

"Ugh, I can't believe I used to live like this." He muttered, shaking his head in disapproval.

...

Beast Boy's eyelids fluttered open, his vision gradually focusing on the room around him. Sitting up on his bed, he ran a hand through his disheveled hair and couldn't help but snicker to himself, brushing off the remnants of his odd dream. He scooted to the edge of his mattress and rose to his feet.

However, the amusement that had momentarily enveloped him swiftly evaporated as his eyes fell upon a startling sight. His gaze widened in disbelief as he beheld his future self, calmly seated in the desk chair, exuding an air of tranquility as his forearms rested casually on his legs.

Before Beast Boy could react or utter a single word, he was interrupted by a calm yet urgent voice. "Please don't scream." Garfield's spoke, his tone composed and steady.

"W-Who are you?" Beast Boy asked, his voice quivering with uncertainty and astonishment.

"What do you think?" Garfield retorted sharply, a mixture of confusion and frustration evident in his tone. "I'm you, genius.