eleven | wrong number

I fixed my sweater over my body as I stared out at the pieces of snow falling from the sky like little pieces of magic falling from the sky. The clouds were white and pressed against the dark sky, all crowded together on the cold, wintry landscape. A few hours ago, I'd finished my classes of the day, so I could officially say I would have no more classes until the new year.

I tucked the edge of the thick sweater into my waistband, feeling it fall all the way to my knees. I straightened my hair and did my makeup, constantly checking the time and listening for any dings from my phone. It was dark and tinted a sleepy purple-blue in the room, but I didn't care as I sat against the window. Oddly, I wasn't nervous, I only felt a sense of wondering in me. I wondered if they'd like me, if we'd get along, what Shawn's favorite ice cream place was.

I texted my parents that I wouldn't be able to catch the train til late. Of course I was planning on telling them about everything, but I knew my parents well enough to know that the reaction wouldn't be stellar. I'd wait a couple more months before telling them, in case this was a false alarm. Though the thought made me feel sick to my stomach.

A ding sounded from my phone and I instantly reached to pick it up. It was from Shawn, reading, 'I'll meet you right outside your building. are you good with taking the train?'

'yep. i'm heading down right now'

I grabbed my phone and pulled on my beanie and ran down the stairs. True to his word, Shawn was waiting outside the door in a comfy looking sweatshirt and a puffy winter jacket on top.

"You look warm," I commented when I saw him.

He rolled his eyes. "Well hello to you too Camila!"

"You never stop being annoying," I groaned.

"I wouldn't be me without it."

"You could say that again."

He took ahold of my hand and asked me about my day, even though he had already seen me that morning. I told him about what had happened since morning and let him guide me to the train station, playing along with the banter had so easily struck up.

We climbed down the rusted stairwell but before we reached the end of the eight-stair stairway he stopped and grinned in the dim lighting.

"This stairwell is so old, you can say anything and it'll echo til your ears fall off."

"Yeah, and that's exactly what I want."

He laughed and the sound bounced off the walls and back into my ears. He nodded and gave me the 'I told you so' look. I rolled my eyes and said, "Don't give me that look."

I couldn't hold back a small smile as I listened to my voice echo. Such a dumb thing, but I liked it.

"Okay come on now." He took my hand again and we went through the fun little spinny things and waited for our train. He showed me his family photos and funny baby photos of him doing things as obscure as eating Cheerios or going on the swings. He showed me his dog Tarzan and videos of him catching a ball or offering up his paw. I found it cute how every time he found a video of Tarzan doing something cute, a proud smile would cover his face.

The train creaked to a stop and he put his phone in pocket and pulled me in. It was crowded with all the kids going home for Christmas break, but the temperature still seemed to be 20 degrees colder than what it was a minute ago.

The cart moved suddenly and caught off guard, I nearly tripped into the person in front of me, but Shawn and his 'darling, my reaction time is a quarter of a second' wasn't lying and he wrapped his arms around my waist before I could fall.