Chapter 28

Walking into the house, I noticed that the lights were off and a few candles had been lit.

Smiling, I followed the candles into the dining area. A single rose in a vase was placed in the center of the table and  two plates had been set out on either side of the table.

I looked at Roman, who was sitting on the opposite end of where I was standing. "This is beautiful, Roman."

I pulled out my chair and sat down, eyeing the plate of delicious smelling food. Fettuccine Alfredo, salad, and a roll of buttered bread was neatly laid out on my plate.

"This looks amazing, baby."

Picking up my fork, I dug right in. Moaning at the delightful taste, I took a sip of the red wine to wash it down.

"I can't believe you did this for me." Still smiling, I looked up at him.

I realized he hadn't touched his plate, or said a word since I walked into the house. "Is everything okay?"

"You lied to me."

My smile dissipated. I took another sip of my wine, not prepared for this conversation. "What are you talking about?"

"Don't fucking play with me, Syraia," he seethed. "I know when you're lying. Where were you? Because you sure as hell weren't at the hospital with Mahlik like you said you were."

The fact that he was speaking in a calm tone indicated just how pissed off he was.

"I was at Preston's," I told him, truthfully. I sucked a piece of lettuce out of my teeth and downed more of my wine.

He tilted his head. "Why?"

"He wanted to talk."

"About what?"

"Nothing happened."

"That's not what I asked," he retorted.

"He wanted to talk about me and him and what happened. He wanted to apologize."

"Why couldn't you just tell me that?"

I stabbed at the food on my plate, taking small bites. "You two don't get along. And if you knew I was over at his place you would have flipped your shit."

"Actually, you're wrong. I'm only pissed at the fact that you didn't tell me. And that you lied on top of that.

"I'm sorry."

"Everytime you go over there, even if it just to talk, there's a chance you won't come back to me."

"Roman..."

He shook his head. "I can't lose you to my brother again."

"You're not going to lose me, Roman. Because I'm not going anywhere. I love you."

"I know you do baby. But you love him too."

"Not in the way that I love you."

Scooting my chair back, I stood up and inched towards the end of the table. Flinging my leg over his leg, I sat down on his lap.

"I'm sorry for lying to you." Looking him directly in his eyes, I bit my lip.

"No more secrets, Rai."

"I promise."

****

"Game point." Roman looked over at me. "If I make this shot, then that I get that pussy when and wherever I want."

I rolled my eyes, smiling at him. "Fine. Whatever."

Watching from the sidelines on the little metal bleachers, Roman began to dribble the ball.

Zion, who was his opponent during their one on one game stood in a guarded stance. His arms were outstretched, his entire body ready to block Roman's shot.

Roman didn't see him as a threat at all. Unfazed, he waited until Zion made the first move. Zion's hands shot out to snatch the ball, Roman dodging his attempts effortlessly.

Zion lost his footing and fell to the ground just as Roman jumped up to dunk the ball into the net.

"Man, this is bullshit." Zion frowned. "You got your girl here to cheer you on. That's the only reason why your ass won."

Roman laughed and offered his friend a hand. Zion scoffed, but took his hand anyway. Helping him up, they bro hugged it out.

"Good game, Z."

"Same to you, Ro," Zion said, jogging over to me to grab his duffel bag and water bottle. "Good seeing you again, Rai."

"You too, Zion."

Smiling his pretty smile, he gave Roman a head nod before heading out.

Picking up his own duffel bag, he pulled out his bottled water. Popping the cap off, he brought the bottle up to his lips and chugged the water down.

He was standing before me shirtless and sweaty, the gold chain around his neck sparkling against the sun's bright light.

I could stare at him all day.

"We have to head over to my parent's house," he said, shoving the now empty bottle back into his bag. "Preston passed the bar exam, so they want to throw him a party congratulating him."

Knowing that Preston passed the bar exam made me smile. I knew he could do it. Despite our differences, I can still be happy for him.

"When is it?"

"Tonight. My mother said it won't be anything big, but I highly doubt it. She's incapable of keeping things small."

From the look on his face, I could tell that he was thinking about the party she threw for him when he was chosen as the number draft pick for the NBA.

One thing about Mrs. Haywood is that she will brag and boast about her sons success every chance she can get. Especially to her rich friends.

She may not necessarily agree with Roman's choice in career path, but she can't deny how big of a success he is.

"I don't suppose you have another dress for me?"

He smiled. "I knew you liked the dress I picked out."

"It was beautiful," I admit. "I'm sorry that it didn't survive the fire. I know it was expensive."

"It was. But you're worth it, doll."

He always knows just what to say to get my heart racing and the butterflies in my stomach to flutter.

"Come on, doll. It won't take me long, so I can take you shopping right after."

"You're taking me shopping?" I asked with excitement.

"Yeah," he replied with a nonchalant shrug of his shoulders, as if what he just said wasn't an absolute panty dropper.

If he keeps this up, then I may just fuck him on the way to his mother's house.