The Things We Can't Change ≫ Leafpool x Female! Medicine Cat! Reader (PART TWO)

Art: Cosmetanoia

⚠️ Warnings ⚠️
• Birth scene
• Some gore
• Some angst

A/N: The relationship between (Y/N) and Leafpool is platonic. I didn't put it in the title because I ran out of room.

****

You struggled to catch your breath as you finally made it to the top of the ledge, Leafpool scrambling up beside you. "This is far enough, I think." She meowed confidently once she had finished giving the secluded hillside a once-over. "How do you feel about it?"

You turned your gaze over your surroundings, a pang of homesickness rippling through you. "It will do, I guess. It's as good as we're going to get." Leafpool smiled at you sympathetically, gently sweeping her tail across your swollen flank. You got the sense that she was worried for you.

"Any day now," She purred. "You're going to do fine, (Y/N). Try not to worry too much."

"I can't help it," You fretted, lashing your tail. "There's so much that could go wrong! What if something happens and you don't have the right herbs?" Leafpool dipped her head in understanding, placing a paw on your shoulder to steady you.

"I'll find every herb necessary. You know I would never let anything happen to you." You sighed, doing your best to swallow the uncertain fear that resided in your heart. Leafpool had been a medicine cat since before you were kitted. You had no doubt that she could handle whatever injury or ailment was thrown at her, but that didn't mean something out of her control could come up and result in tragedy. Whether said tragedy was a stillborn kit, you losing too much blood, or whatever else could possibly go wrong during kitting, you couldn't shake the thought of it.

"I need to lay down," You breathed, suddenly feeling light-headed. Leafpool nodded and leaned against you, gently guiding you over to a shady spot underneath a blossoming lilac bush.

"I'm going to hunt," She announced once you were comfortably settled in. "I'll be back in awhile, okay? Just rest here until I get back."

You smiled weakly. "Okay." Your former mentor turned and began carefully making her way back down the hill, leaving you by yourself on the desolate ledge. You sighed softly, turning your gaze to the swath of silver stars that glittered far above.

Please don't let anything happen to me or my kits.

But if the ancient warriors heard you, they didn't respond.

****

You were jarred out of a deep sleep by a sharp pain in your belly. You forced your eyes open against their will, sitting up and looking down at your swollen abdomen. Another sharp pain gripped you, stronger than the first. Hissing through gritted teeth, you doubled over and sank your claws into soft moss.

I'm not ready, You whimpered silently. Please, just let me wait until morning...

But as another pain rippled through your belly, this time in the form of a clenching spasm, you knew your kits weren't going to wait for the sun to come up. Whimpering, you turned around to where Leafpool was sleeping, her back turned to you and her flank rising and falling softly.