Chapter 22

I Drink Wine — Adele

The following week, they hadn't discussed much about coming out since that Saturday morning. They knew they'd do it eventually, it's just about finding the courage and the right time to do so. The Monday they're back at school found Harry and Niall by their lockers. Harry is a few feet away, talking to Louis while Niall is further down the corridor, talking to Liam. Liam had just said something funny, causing Niall to laugh and Harry looks up at the sound, the sound so recognisable and distinctive that it causes a smile to stretch on Harry's lips and he just could not hide it.

The sound of Niall's laughter fills the corridor, despite being surrounded by student chatter and Harry's eyes fall adoringly on him. The way his rosy cheeks are flushed, his blonde hair tousled, his blue eyes gleaming...Harry's heart melts at the sight of him. Niall could sense that someone is watching him and when he catches eyes with Harry, he's still smiling. Their looks linger for a while, both of them sharing some kind of unspoken greeting, a secret message until Louis appears in front of him, blocking his view from Niall and Harry blinks, eyebrows knotted together as he scowls at his best friend.

"Earth to Harry! Did you hear me just now?" Louis asks impatiently, waving his hand at Harry.

"No." Harry shakes his head, flashing Louis a sympathetic look and Louis groans, throwing his head back in exasperation.

"I said," Louis continues, "Have you talked about what I suggested? Bout getting a beard?" He presses and now it's Harry's turn to sigh in expaseration, closing his locker door with his shoulder.

"Lou, I told you," he starts, "We're not gonna do that. I couldn't do that to Niall." Harry insists and Louis snorts derisively.

"Might wanna think 'bout it if you're gonna gawk at Niall all day." He suggests warily and Harry rolls his eyes.

He doesn't even bother to respond to Louis but heads over to Niall himself all the same. When Niall sees Harry approaching, a huge grin spreads across his face and it's Louis turn to roll his eyes. Harry's about to open his mouth to speak when one of the It girls approaches them and he closes it shut.

"Hey, Harry!" Izzy beams, flicking her hair hair over her shoulders.

"Hey, Iz. What can I do for you?" Harry asks casually.

"It has come to our attention that you have yet to old a Halloween party." Izzy starts.

"Mhmm. That's right." Harry nods and behind her, he can see Niall with a deadpan look on his face, staring at her back.

"Well, do you plan on having one any time soon?" She giggles.

"Well, actually I already went to the disco with Niall, so...it seems pretty pointless holding a party as well," Harry shrugs and the hopeful smile on Izzy's face disappears, "But I'm considering having a Thanksgiving party to comprise. How about that?" He adds and her face lights up again.

"Really?" She gasps.

"Really?" Niall repeats, standing behind Harry, staring at him and Harry stares back.

"Yeah. Figured I'd make it up to ya." Harry responds softly to Izzy, without looking at her.

"Great!" She beams, "I'll spread the word."

She drifts off into the crowd of students before Harry could protest and he walks with Niall, side by side with Louis and Liam walking closely behind them.

"You really can't help yourself, can ya?" Niall teases in a whisper as they saunter off to class.

"Couldn't say no to a party." Harry frowns and Niall shakes his head in disbelief.