CHAPTER 18: NOT-FERATU

"Would the two of you care for something to eat?" Marrun asked, setting down a wooden tray covered in an assortment of seeds, crumbs and tiny slices of dried fruit upon the flattened hill of mud which served as a table. There were four small items framed around it, build into the floor which were sort of shaped like chairs, and apparently served that purpose. For the moment, two of them were empty. 

"No, thank you." the armored guard said in a nervous, feminine tone. "We're here on official business. We were wondering if you have been in contact with your son, Aaron within the past day or so." 

The grey furred mouse woman shook her head and smiled, eyes closed. "Oh, dear me, no. You know how kids are. You hardly even see them when you are all living under the same roof. Can't expect them to drop by much when distracted by their fun, little adventures. No, I can't say that we've seen him or his sister since they'd left on their journey. I imagine they'll come back once they get hungry and their clothes need washing." 

"Um, right." the guard said, looking to her comrade, who had yet to say a single word, had yet to make eye contact with the elderly parents, and was generally doing an extremely good job of pretending that he wasn't even there. "You should know that your daughter has been accused of high treason, and is being detained at the castle as we speak. Your son and his allies are considered accomplices and wanted for questioning." 

Marrun simply laughed, wiping a tear away from the corner of a closed eye. "Oh, those two are always getting into trouble." 

The guard looked down at her own plastic mitted paws. "This is quite a serious matter, Mrs. If you happen to have any contact with your son, please let me or one of the other guards know immediately. He is considered to be extremely dangerous." 

"Oh, of course, I'll let you know." Marrun said in a calm voice. She took a sip of water from the bowl in her paw before properly meeting the gaze of the armored guest, opening her pink eyes just the slightest amount. "By which, I mean that I won't of course, and even if I had seen him, I would lie, but that's to be expected. Nevertheless, officially, I'm telling you everything that I know, and that I haven't seen him. It will save us both a lot of time if we leave the matter at that, don't you agree?" 

"I don't think you understand the gravity of the situation..." 

"Oh, have you heard? Apparently he and his sister defeated two separate dark lords! I do hope they didn't touch those foul monsters too much. Who knows where they've been?" The elderly mouse smiled. 

"Um, yeah, I did hear that..." 

"It's not too surprising. They've always been special after all. Strong, healthy, and while a little difficult at times, they were always kindhearted. They've done a truly great service for all of us, and I have never been prouder." 

"Right. Well, it's just that..." the guard cleared her throat, looking down at the tray, nervously reaching for a split seed "It's just that we need to find him as soon as possible. He could be dangerous." 

"Well, what's important is that you understand that danger is relative." Marron said, quickly grabbing the guards wrist. The shocked younger woman tried to pull away, but found herself unable to, as the seemingly frail and elderly mother squeezed the white gauntlet until the plastic of it cracked within her grip. "Even if he did, somehow, mean harm, and acted upon it, it's absolutely nothing compared to what will happen to you and your little friends..." she grinned wickedly up at the standing guard, who was still doing his best statue imitation, "...if you so much as harm a single hair on the bodies of either of them." 

The female guard looked nervously away from the manic gleam of the old woman's eyes, turning her head towards her comrade for aid. Such aid obviously wasn't coming. Despite his best efforts to ignore the current situation, sweat visibly poured from his face, his body shaking audibly shaking in his armor.