70

it ends where it started

THE ENTIRE TOWN HEARD ABOUT THE GILBERT HOUSE BURNING DOWN WITHIN HOURS. News of Jeremy's untimely fate in said fire broke shortly after, and Athena was entirely unsurprised to see a memorial held for him the same night. She was, admittedly, surprised that news of Carol's death had yet to come but she figured that Tyler was working with the Sheriff to come up with a decent story as to how the mayor died that wasn't murder.

With Jeremy secured in the basement for the time being, Athena figured there was no harm in going to the memorial just to see how many familiar faces were in the crowd.

She only sort of regretted that decision as she lost sight of Stefan and was swallowed by the throng of people she was sure didn't even know Jeremy. Rolling her eyes, she grumbled annoyedly and pushed past people with less than kind words to say.

Breaking free from the large group gathered, Athena scanned the people lingering on the outskirts, hoping she'd see Damon, Caroline, or Stefan. Preferably anybody she actually wanted to speak to.

She walked silently past the stage, her footfalls soundless in the grass before she stopped and turned around, a smirk twisting at her lips as the girl following her reared back, unexpectedly caught.

"Are you really gonna do this here, Elena?"

"Where is he?"

Athena turned to face her fully, eyeing her distraught state and her bloodshot eyes. "Who?"

"Don't act stupid," Elena bit out, gritting her teeth. "Where is Jeremy? I know he's not dead."

"Denial is the first stage of grief, Elena, it's alright to feel like this right–"

"Knock it off Athena," Elena scoffed, taking a step towards the goddess. "Where is Jeremy? He's not dead– he had the ring on. He's not dead."

Athena shifted, tucking her hand into the pocket of her coat. Pulling the Gilbert ring out, she held it up for Elena to see clearly. "You mean this ring? The ring I took off him right before your house went up in flames?"

Athena sees Elena's chest heave with a horrified gasp and she drops the ring back into her palm, slipping it back into her pocket safely. "It's a shame Jenna and Ric weren't home– three birds with one stone, right? Well, four, if you count Carol, I guess."

Elena lunged forward and pushed Athena, making the girl stutter out a laugh as she easily regained her footing.

"You're not going to get away with this, Athena," Elena muttered, her eyes wide and maniacal.

"What, you're gonna get revenge? How do you suppose you'll do that? You have nothing against us,"

Elena spits out a bitter, empty laugh that unnerved Athena in the way it feels to walk past a snarling dog or a hissing cat. Elena's behavior was just as unhinged. "You still haven't figured it out, have you? I'm shocked– I actually knew something before the great Athena did."