3 - wordless introductions

The rest of Tuesday and Wednesday were dragged out. 48 hours feeling more like 72 until Thursday morning came around, and I was suddenly wanting to go back.

Half my morning was spent getting ready while the other half was trying to calm my nerves and playing detective. My thoughts had morphed from worries about how I should look when I walked in, to the other girls there, to the mystery artist and back to my looks.

I shouldn't have spent as much time as I did on my makeup and hair. But I wanted to look somewhat pretty before walking in, in hopes that they wouldn't do much revision. Which would give me the sign I needed, telling me I had mirrored the mood of the video on my own. And that ultimately, they approved.

After spending more than half an hour on hair and makeup, I changed into another simple outfit. Knowing it would be stripped off and replaced by whatever costume the director and stylist had in mind.

Snatching an apple off the counter, I whisked out the door and down to Julie's car where she was waiting directly outside the residence.

She turned down the radio as I hopped in and gave me a smile and a pat on the back. "You look great. Are you nervous?"

"Kind of," I said, which wasn't totally a lie. Of course I was nervous, I had been for the past two days. But I also felt sort of peaceful. A small voice in the back of my head softly reminded me that even if I didn't make it past dress rehearsals, it still would have been a great experience. It would help me in the future, giving me more experience each time until I eventually made the cut, and I was okay with this.

Though, without this rational little voice, my stomach would have been turned inside out by now.

"You'll do fine." Julie concluded before we sped off.

The ride was a blur, just like the scenery outside the window. The whole time I was lost in a whirlwind of my own thoughts, going through different scenarios and testing my professionalism. I didn't snap out of it until the car parked in front of a large building and Julie stepped out, calling my name before closing the driver's door.

I fumbled with the seatbelt for a second before leaping out the car and quickly catching up to Julie as she pulled open the building door and allowed me to go in first. It was well air-conditioned, just like the building we had been in days ago, and raised little goosebumps on my skin as we walked further in. Julie led the way while I turned my head this way and that, taking in the halls and lines of doors.

We eventually made it to a waiting room where Julie signed in with another receptionist. She told us to walk on by into another waiting room filled with various dancers and actors alike, adding that Julie would have to return to the first waiting room until I'd finished.

"I wouldn't even stick around, the callback is said to last a few hours, but if you give me your number I can call to let you know when to pick Tatiana up." She informed us sweetly, and my agent happily complied.

After I gave a little wave of farewell, I pushed open the door and slid into the waiting room for others auditioning. It was buzzing with excitement; people huddled in small groups to discuss the event ahead. I picked a seat not far off from one of these jittery groups, eavesdropping on their conversation to hold me over until I was called.

They were trying to whisper in voices brimming with enthusiasm, but it was failing them. Each time they agreed on their nervousness, one of the girl's voices got high and shrill and the others had to shush her with elated giggles. Throughout their entire conversation that I was present nearby for, they never once said the name of the artist. I suspected everyone here knew, or had a clue. Julie said she was able to tell me who the artist was at this point, but she continued to keep it secret just to surprise me. And it worked so far, I still didn't know for sure who this artist was by the time a man came through the door and singled me out. But I had a clue. It had to be a big artist. Someone like Prince or Michael Jackson based on the dreamy tone in most of the girls' voices.