Paanch~ 'The Undoing of Ryder Burke'

Book name: The Undoing of Ryder Burke
Author: clarifications
Status: Complete
Genre: Teen fiction
Main trope: slut shaming / being a survivor

Description:

Ryder Burke is a slut. It's a known fact in Madison High that Ryder is down for pretty much everything- the stories written on the bathroom stalls are law, after all. Her infamy doesn't stop her from holding a place at the top of Madison High's food chain, though, until something happens at Georgia Brenner's annual New Year's Eve party.

All anyone knows is that Ryder was seen being led into a room by Ryan Morgan, Georgia's on again off again, and Mason Brenner, Georgia's twin brother, and that, two hours later, Ryder Burke was at the hospital.But who will believe the school slut when she cries rape?

 Weston Stark is the new kid in school. The son of a lawyer, he knows that Ryder should be able to tell her side of the story, no matter what the rumors about her imply. The problem is that no one else is willing to listen.

_______________________________________

My opinion:

This book brought me to tears and there has only been a few books where I've cried my heart out.

This story is about a rape survivor and it is so fucking realistic. We've all heard the line 'boys will be boys' but never have I ever hated it more before reading this book. The fact that this is used to justify anything a guy does and to nullify everything the girl says is so pathetic and makes me so fucking angry.

We've all seen girls who enjoy sex being condemned for their actions and labelled a whore or a slut and being slut shamed, when the boys on the other hand are labelled as players and it's considered something to be proud of.

The ending is bittersweet but the book does a great job of depicting what actually happens in reality in most of the rape cases. The thing I liked the most is that there is no romanticization of stupid shit which is frankly a trend in way too many wattpad stories.

Do read the trigger warnings before you proceed as there are flashbacks of the trauma Ryder went through.

Pacing : Adequate

Plot holes : no plot holes per se, but there are some things that need more explanation and could have been done better.

Reading Time : 9+ hours

Star rating~ 🌟🌟🌟🌟

P.S.~ The author is rewriting the story to be published right now. I've read the first chapter and it's already better and much more polished than the first draft.

Please vote and comment. Also add the book to your library for updates.