An Old Friend.

"Why do farmers farm?
Love. They must do it for love. They love to live where they work and work where they live." – Wendell Berry

You hadn't used the request box in a while as you were one of the oldest members of the neighbourhood, meaning you definitely had more experience and knowledge than the others who eventually came along and built their own farms.

You were quite sustainable by yourself, really only offering to lend a hand to others, supporting your neighbours first rather than putting yourself out there to be helped.

It was surprising how you quite recall the last time you requested someone's help.

You were also surprised to see a certain, familiar gingered beard man, leaning against your roadside shop and peering into the crates of produce you had on sale.

"Ah, Greg, is that you?" Your voice rang out as soon as you recognised the bearded man who looked startled at seeing you but maintained a relaxed and cool smile.

"Oh, hello! Sorry, I was just taking a stroll when I saw you had quite a bunch on sale-" He said with a pleased grin as he gestured to your produce you had carefully placed in the wooden crates, the chilli's and bread that you had grown and made yourself, "- going on here."

Your smile matched his as your eyes lingered a little longer on his, before clearing your throat and turning your sight towards the produce you had out on display.

"Oh yes, I had made a batch of bread earlier today when I realised I made too much, it's better that I give it away rather than keep it where it could end up going to waste. Someone else might want to try and sample my delicious bread?"

A light dust of pink showed on Greg's cheeks, and his ears which poked out from his thick beard began to turn red as if he had been caught in a terrible, most embarrassing and humiliating act known to man.

"Ah, I see, I think so too, neighbour." He replied sheepishly, he looked to be avoiding your gaze as you peered back up to him, his eyes lowered to his feet.

"Well, I'm about to send in a request for some assistance. I woke up and checked on my crops when I came across a catastrophe, it was a burglary I haven't seen before!" You exclaimed, throwing your arms up in the air to exaggerate.

Greg must have been feeding off of every word you said, as he leaned his head lower to listen more. "All of my sugarcane had been trampled through and destroyed, they didn't even give mercy to my beautiful pumpkins! They were completely smashed, the guts were oozing everywhere, it looked like a murder scene, Greg!"

Greg compelled backwards at the mention of his name as if he had woken up from a trance you had put him under, but you ignored this as you brooded angrily, stuck on a loop about your crops scathed to ashes.

"That sounds terrible, I'm sorry you had to wake up to that. If you want, I could lend a hand, I'm known for having tools on hand for a reason." He joked though you could tell he was being serious with the offering of his help.

You paused for a moment, processing his hand in help. Then you nodded, albeit a bit too much as he stifled out a chuckle at your eagerness.

"That- that'd be splendid! I wanted to ask Rose as she always insists on helping me, but I wouldn't want to hassle her too much. Thank you, Greg!"

The bigger, ginger man gave a soft smile, before handing you a pouch of money, inside were 300 worth of coins, as he leans over and grabs the loaves on sale, ten to be exact.

"I'll be having these for lunch with some fresh cherry jam, they'd go perfect with a side of tea as well." He explained to you, and a bit to himself like he was convincing himself to buy them. "And... the extra cash is for you personally to spend on whatever you'd like, you deserve it."

You hesitated to take the pouch of money, not believing one ounce that you had gotten 300 coins for ten loaves of bread, even as you sifted and counted the money.

"This- it's too much! I don't even know what I would do with 215 coins Greg... thank you," You held back the tears forming in your eyes, forcing yourself to make eye contact with the man.

He softened even more at the contact, his eyes peering back at you. It felt nice, he had nice, brilliant blue eyes that shone brightly as he stared at you.

You shuddered, it's been a while since you've had this sort of attraction to someone. Before you could think to close the gap between you and Greg, the taller ginger cleared his throat so sudden it made you jump in fright.

"I just remembered something, I'm actually quite busy at the moment. I'm on a hunt to find some rascals that got loose, I'll come back as soon as I find them, see you soon, neighbour."

And just like that, as quick as the wind brushed against the back of your neck, he was already halfway down the dirt road that connected your neighbourhood together.

You wondered if the handsome lumberjack liked you back.