Chapter 12

When the family finally emerged from their morning snuggle session, they went their separate ways to change and prepare for the day.

Their first outing was a stroll along the beach; Leo wanted them all to collect some seashells so they could remember their little getaway. Leo was further ahead with Thunder, dipping in and out of the shallow tide, running up and down the sand. Leo would sporadically scurry back to Lauren and Camila to show them a shell he found, "Look at this one!"

Camila and Lauren were walking side by side, shoulders and hands brushing as they walked, a small canvas was bag slung over one of Camila's arms housing the ever-growing shell collection. Every now and then, Lauren would briefly hook her pointer finger into Camila's pinky, smiling shyly up at her before gazing forward again.

They were talking softly amongst themselves as they watched Leo prancing around with Thunder. They swapped stories of previous birthdays – Camila more than Lauren since she didn't really celebrate her birthday.

"- and so, I'm at the bar, so drunk and sad thinking no one wanted to see me on my birthday. I drag my sorry ass home, stumbling through the hallway to my apartment laughing at my own jokes because let me tell you when I'm drunk I am hilarious-"

"Sure you are, darling," Lauren snorts on a laugh. 

Camila pulls back in mock offence, looking affronted. "Wha- rude."

Lauren laughs again and bumps into her shoulder consolingly.

"Anyway, I struggle trying to unlock my door for what feels like hours. I finally swing it open, almost falling on my face because I was leaning on it so heavily, and then I freeze. My whole apartment is filled with people."

"Oh no," Lauren almost whines, a hint of amusement in her voice.

"Oh yes. Sofi had set up a surprise party for me. Everyone is yelling 'surprise' and 'happy birthday' and I'm just standing there, jaw on the floor, frozen. And then I just start sobbing, like uncontrollably."

Lauren laughs sadly as she imagines the sight - drunk Camila stood in a doorway sobbing, it was quite the image.

"Sofi comes running over to me not knowing what's happening, she's asking what's wrong and I'm just spewing random words that she can't make out. Everyone was so confused and worried. Eventually, she figures out what was going on, she felt so bad."

Lauren could see the love Camila had for her sister shining through whenever she spoke about her, it was one of the things she loved about her.

"She got me sobered up pretty quick, hugged me for like 10 minutes apologising the whole time, and then we had a great night with everyone but she didn't leave my side the whole night. It's one of those stories where at the time it was in no way funny, but now that I look back on it, the way I just started sobbing was hilarious."

The women laughed together, Lauren shaking her head at the hilarity of it. Lauren slid her hand fully Camila's grasp, intertwining their fingers and squeezing tightly.

Camila gave her a dazzling smile in response and Lauren felt like her heart was exploding.

"It sounds like you and Sofi are really close."

"Yeah, we are," Camila agreed, a fond smile adorning her face as she thought of her sister. "She's my best friend. I don't know what I would do without her. I certainly don't think I would be here today if it wasn't for her, she's my rock."

Lauren squeezed Camila's hand again, letting her know it was okay, giving her silent support. Camila watched Leo for a moment before she directed her attention back to Lauren.