Chapter 3: The Prognosticate Society

The room was silent; I became all too aware of my heartbeat quickening as I tried to process the information I had just received. My fingers stopped dancing, half frozen in a dazed state of confusion.

"Miss Homewood? Are you quite alright?" The woman's voice brought me back into the moment, as I crossed my legs and swallowed deeply.

"Mhm," I responded, unable to form words, the memory of that night flooding into my senses. Overwhelming them. The broken window. The unmoving, lifeless bodies. Blood. Lots and lots of blood.

"Miss Homewood, on behalf on the Prognosticate Society, I have been sent here to bring you to our headquarters, so that we might examine you. It is clear we made a mistake, and we need to uncover the root of the problem, so that we can prevent it from happening again," She smiled, baring two rows of perfectly pearly teeth.

"I'm sorry, but that won't be possible," I say, swallowing again. Feigning fortitude.

"I'm afraid I have to insist," said the woman, her smile fading slightly.
I said nothing, my fingers starting moving again. Slower, this time. More hesitant. Wary.

"On behalf of the Prognosticate Society," She continued, her once-crisp voice burdened with irritation, sounding threatening, as if warning me, "I have to bring you in for examination. It won't take longer than two days."

"I don't want to be taken in for examination. I don't know why I survived that night, but I did. There's nothing more to it. You made a mistake. I fail to see why that has anything to do with me."

"Miss Homewood, I'm sorry but..."
"No," I interrupted.
"Miss Homewood," She tried again, clearly exasperated, "It is not your choice."
"I think you'll find it is," I stood up, "I think you've overstayed your welcome."

"On behalf of the Prognosticate Society..."
"Don't give me that bullshit. This has been a pleasant visit, but it's time for you to go."
"For god's sake," She said, lowering her voice, "Subject 115b is refusing to cooperate," She whispered into a small device strapped to her hand.
"I'm going to give you one more chance, Miss Homewood, or we will be forced to take you in the hard way."

"Who's we?" I said.
"The firing squad we have positioned all around this building. A precaution, for instances such as these."

I licked my lips anxiously, "So if I refuse to cooperate?..."
"I think you know what will happen," She smiled again, "So, about that examination?"

____________

Pulling into a parking space, the car jolted forward. The seemingly infinite car journey had seen us through endless deserts, fields and streets that all looked the same. It was as if we'd been going round in circles. 

"We're here!" The woman said, "Welcome to the Prognosticate society."

I looked out the window. The Prognosticate Society consisted of many buildings, interlocked by a network of small corridors, embedded with large windows. These windows allowed an insight into the company; thousands upon thousands of people could be seen fleeting from some-such place to another. The tallest tower, a building in the centre of the establishment, stood intimidatingly, as if declaring its superiority upon the world. The silhouette of a figure in the window discomforted me somehow; I quickly looked away. 

The woman opened my door, and I got to my feet, disconcerted from the lack of movement. 
"Follow me, Miss Homewood. I'll sign us in, then we have a meeting with Miss Desmona."

We entered the building, and were greeted by a tall woman, currently on the phone,
"I'm sorry Miss Smith, but we are fully booked next week. The earliest vacancy is in a month. I can book you in for a meeting then? Ok, thank you. Have a nice day."