Part 8

It feels like an almost unnecessary celebration, but that's exactly what this is - unnecessary and a celebration.

After you and Jungkook decided to go through with the engagement the day before, you both told your families immediately. You didn't think it was imperative to have a grand announcement; you just thought to get it over with. You shouldn't have underestimated their ability to make this a big deal but then again, you also didn't expect anything less.

You'd entered your parents' estate and were greeted with an abundance of your and Jungkook's favorite food. The setup in the garden was the kind you'd have when there were social events hosted there; your mother had even put out her most prized flatware and Seokjin brought your favorite bottles of wine of his that he rarely lets you drink. The kids running around even had their bow ties and ribbons on.

You look at your plain and simple blush dress and compare your outfit to the little ones.

"Is there a party I didn't know about?" You call out once you arrive. "I feel slightly underdressed."

"Oh sweetheart, you're finally here," your mother approaches you and pulls you in for a tight hug.

Everyone else follows from both families and embraces you.

"Where's Jungkook?" His father asks, looking around.

"I don't know, Uncle. We didn't come together," you respond nonchalantly.

The distressed look on his face is eased when Jungkook jogs towards you. "What did I miss?" He asks. He looks around and sees the well-decorated venue. "Is this for us?"

"Well, of course! We'd only been planning for this ever since you were both born," Jungkook's mother confesses, a proud smile gracing her face. "But honey," she turns to Jungkook. "You didn't pick ___ up?"

"I... didn't think I should? I mean, we're..." he looks at you, unsure what to say.

"Technically still not engaged," you finish.

You see the panicked looks on your parents' faces. "I mean, there's no engagement ring yet or anything..." you say, making an excuse. You may be engaged but you're not a couple, you clarified to each other.

"Right, that's why we're all here. Come, you two," your mother calls out, motioning for you and Jungkook to follow her towards the table. She guides you towards the two seats at the center. You don't miss the way Jungkook laughs incredulously to himself.

You catch him and he shakes his head, "this is so..."

"Absurd, over-the-top, excessive?" You continue.

You both laugh, wondering what else is in store for today. Your question is immediately answered when Jungkook's mother approaches him with a little box in her hand.

"This is the first piece of jewelry that your grandfather ever bought your grandmother, son, 10 years after they got married" she says. "She handed it over to me when they welcomed me to the family." She opens the box to reveal a silver band with an opal gemstone decorated with a halo of small diamonds. "Here," she says, handing it to Jungkook. "We had it adjusted to ___'s size just in case."

Jungkook takes the box and stares at the ring, something he's very familiar with. He's seen his mother wear this several times; had seen old photos of his grandmother wearing it, too, minus the shiny diamonds twinkling around the gemstone. This is a very special piece of jewelry that's being handed to him, for his future wife.

He turns to Junghyun and Yeri, wondering why such heirloom skipped his brother, looking for any sign of displeasure; he is the elder son, after all. But there is none. His brother and his wife have such tenderness, painting their faces, watching the scene unfold before them.