Chapter 9

The bridge of the Panama was dimly lit by the combat lighting, as its crew worked in overdrive trying to stay once step ahead of the onslaught of enemy craft that were harassing her and her sister ships.

"Broadswords have splashed 3 of the Phantoms, but there's still two more approaching at point 6" the XO said.

"Our own Ramparts are pushed to the limit dealing with those banshees, we will have to hope that Faustina can handle the," the Captain added.

From outside, the battle looked far more intense than what the interior screens could show. The Panama and Changing were positioned behind the Reverie, using themselves as a shield to try and draw fighters away from their wounded comrade. Both ships point defences were firing off in unison as they attempted to swat down the incoming fighters. With the help of Banov and his wings, they were just barely holding them at bay.

"New radar pings, 100,000 klicks off our bow, looks like bombers"

"Where the hell did they come from", .

"Unknown sir, but it looks like they are heading straight for the Reverie."

"Faustina" the Captain remarked as he keyed his chairs comms.

"I see them, moving to intercept, you stay on those remaining phantoms." she responded

"Give priority to all forward facing Ramparts, increase speed by 10 percent. Lets see if our new friends want to play a game of chicken.

The frigates forward guns fired off volleys of hot lead, causing the first two bombers to explode into a blue cloud of energy. The remaining craft broke their formation and dived down hard, trying to avoid the Frigates point defence.

"We seem to have routed the remaining bombers, Captain", Connors informed.

"Good, hows Banov's flight holding up, and what's the status on our tail?" she asked.

"Even with the Reveries slow speed, we are still out pacing the enemy ship."

"Why haven't you broken off" she wondered as she inspected the holo map.

What was left of the fighters and bombers had peeled back, sitting just outside the frigates weapon range. The three vessels were so close that the halo array could no longer be seen through the view ports.

"Captain, the Reverie has entered low orbit of the ring and is preparing its descent."

She watched as the holo map showed the Reverie slowly sinking towards the surface of the ring, its engines burning as it tried to bleed its speed. Before she could witness its full landing, the proximity alarm signalled.

"Slipspace rupture detected" Connor Screamed.

"How close?" she was about to ask as she seen the massive purple portal appeared off her port.

A third vessel had now entered the fray, but this one was right on top of the two remaining frigates. As soon as it had full transitioned from the bubble it began firing its main canon, the initial shots, thankfully missing.

"Evasive manoeuvres, get us the hell away from that thing." she shouted

The Changing burned hard as it tried to turn away from the new contact, the Panama following suit as it formed up on her ships left side. She was hoping to make a fast course correct, heading back the way they had came, but their straggler would capitalise on that, and her ships would be sandwiched between the two.

"Enemy fighters are back, we have multiple waves approaching from point 8 and 3."

"They are trying to box us in" she muttered.