♫... honey, there's no time – feng suave

Tiled floors had always given Kat an idle sense of anxiety.

Hospitals, offices, restaurants. Wherever there were marbled tiles, there was mental strain and the possibility of something going wrong.

Bouncing her leg, Kat glanced up. Right now, she was splayed across her seat staring at the unnervingly low ceiling, tapping her fingernails against the varnish coated wood of her desk and bouncing her feet on the stupid tiled flooring. The room she was in, she pondered, might as well have been split in two; the popcorn ceiling seemingly being pushed down slowly. Kat knew this wasn't the case, but she enjoyed the thought that she was secretly the main character of some dystopian novel.

An aglet on her tennis shoes ticked against the waxed marble, creating a consistent beat that could lull any child to sleep.

Kat hated every second of it.

She wouldn't really mind if the entire room went up in flames; a page out of a screenwriting.

If anything, it might do her some good.

The classroom had a window, sure, but the metal grommet was rust-covered and looked like it hadn't been opened in years. The air felt musty and stifled from a lack of ventilation, with the cast concrete walls hastily painted a dull beige. It was as if the room had the ability to suck any sense of joy out of even the most optimistic of people, and Kat half wished the walls could speak. After further consideration, she decided it was for the best that she didn't know the secrets of the room – high schoolers were brutal.

Mentally snickering, she removed her gaze from the textured ceiling that caused her so much agony to look at, instead choosing to glance around the premises. Uninterested teenagers slouched against the smooth wood of their chairs, while a teacher enthusiastically tried to gain their attention.

"Alright, with attendance done, let's get to the syllabus. This class won't be too academically challenging as it's a graduation requirement, however, you still do need to put in effort. As long as you complete all assignments on time, you'll be able to secure an A." She smiled. "Now, I need to get to know you all."

Kat internally groaned, sitting up, wincing when a knot in her back snapped. She'd always hated icebreaker activities; they were unbearably awkward. However, she accepted the slip of paper for her classroom's bingo sheet. Scanning it rapidly, she reached into her bag to grab a mechanical pencil and clicked the end to get some graphite out.

Right as she was about to stand up, she felt a tap on her shoulder. Jolting up in surprise, she turned around to glance behind her back.

And there, she saw them.

♫... meddle about – chase atlantic

They were leaned forward against their desk, an eyebrow arched. A glint caught Kat's eye, causing her to glance at their eyebrow piercing glimmering against the fluorescent lights of the classroom. Biting their bottom lip and smirking in an almost devilish way, they poked their tongue against the inside of their cheek, defined rigidly by their sharp cheekbones. Perfect blemishes dappled across the tan mosaic that was their skin, dimpled cheeks shining with an almost magical air to them. Their silky, dual-toned hair lazily flopped over their left eye, pushed back only when they ran their veined fingers through the fuzzy mop of cyan and amethyst, strands crossed over one another. Legs spread, their knees were exposed through clusters of threads surrounding the rips of their black skinny jeans, which were strained against the taut muscle of their thighs. Their muscular arms rested on the desk, crossed at the wrist.

"Hey?"

Snap out of it!

Jumping back to reality, she began to speak. "God," she stammered, "you startled me." Puckered lips forming an 'o', the stranger chuckled.

"My bad, sorry." Their caramel smooth, yet slightly raspy voice rang out against the chatter of the class, as they sat up straight against their chair. As he spoke, Kat noticed a glint of light hit their mouth, realizing they had a tongue piercing.

They had a tongue piercing.

"Would you mind signing my sheet?"

Still captivated by their features, Kat tried to recall when she was ever given a sheet. To be fair, in the state she was in, it was hard for Kat to even remember her name.

"Sheet?" Kat's eyebrows furrowed, genuinely puzzled.

Her chapped lips pressed together in a line, slightly pouted. Realizing the dryness, she swiped her tongue quickly against her bottom lip, hoping it'd help her remember whatever she was thinking about. Kat couldn't recall that either, at a loss for words by the strangers' beauty. She hadn't seen them around throughout her time at this school, wondering if they were a new student.

The stranger's eyebrow raised in bemusement. They pointed at the piece of paper on their desk and swiveled it around so it was easier for her to see, giving Kat the perfect opportunity to ogle at their hands.

They had tattoos, she realized, and they were beautiful.

Indelible ink snaked against the olive backdrop of their hand, harshly contradicting the drab environment of the classroom. She could make out a snake encircling their wrist, cherry blossoms decorating their slender fingers. Densely packed illustrations adorned the dorsal side of their hand, embellishing their already perfect state.

Veins delicately wove their way around the faint tendons on the back of their hand that rose and fell like the tide when the stranger shifted, while their oval-shaped fingernails contrasted with their boney knuckles and ink-covered fingers.

Kat realized what she was doing, again, and so she scanned the sheet, sucking in a breath when she realized the paper had just been handed out. Her lips pursed together and eyes shut tightly when she realized what she'd done while distracted by their perfect features.

Kat knew their type, the kind to flirt with anything that moved, and she wasn't going to fall for that. For heaven's sake, they had a tongue piercing.

Call her cliche, but Kat thought herself better than a protagonist from some generic romance novella.

"Ah, yeah," she trailed off. "Which box?" Kat glanced at the sheet of paper once again, trying to regain her sense of control.

They're just some random pretty kid, Kat, you're better than this. They'd chew you up and spit you out, and you know it.

"That one". Kat narrowed her eyes at the small text, squinting momentarily. Reading it, she sniggered at the irony.

'Get a signature from a classmate who wears glasses'.

Kat clutched her pencil and hastily signed the box, turning the paper back around for them to grab ahold of. Giving them a small grin, she retracted her hand. They returned the gesture as they stood up to their full height, leaving Kat to marvel at their tall stature. Walking away, they smirked slightly.

"See ya later, glasses." 

Word Count: 1157

A/N: Happy birthday Kat! This was supposed to be a oneshot but I got a little bit carried away lmao. Hope you enjoy <333