Part 1: A trip down memory lane

Small Heath was never a place to live. At least it wasn't for her. Every time Diana was sitting in a train that headed for this hell-like town, she could feel the cold and pain in the air. She was choking on it each time she walked the concrete of the dark alleys of the Birmingham. It was like the air changed into heavy and thick fog which was hiding the secrets of its habitants. It was rare for her to bring the images of this place anymore but when she did, it was always a dreadful experience. The memory of the Small Heath was like the taste of the rotten eggs. Diana smiled at the comparison she had made as she was looking out the window on the nearby street.

"It stinks the same." She commented on her previous thought and crossed her arms still observing the view.

London has been treating her good. It was a place to live. Entertaining, lively, crowded. Opening her own business here has helped her realize that leaving Birmingham was the most righteous decision. However, there is always a second side of the coin. She missed her family a lot, it was noticeable, but drowning herself into the work has helped her fight the feeling. Writing the letters was enough for her until one time, out of the blue, she stopped doing it completely. They stopped replying either.

Her thinking was interrupted by the sound of a car engine that was close to the window. The vehicle stopped on the opposite side of the pavement and the doors opened allowing the man to leave the car. When the mysterious driver was about to be revealed to her, the doors of her office opened making Diana to turn her head and look at Poppy.

"Am I interrupting you Ms. Dover?" She asked.

Poppy has been working as a secretary since the company was founded. She was an elderly woman who was always quick with the joke. Her sense of humor was what remained Diana of her own mother. They shared the same laugh and even styled their hair the exact same way. Diana has been asking herself whether the reason she hired Poppy in the first place was that she missed her mother so much. But she has never answered it. Diana was taken by a surprise with the question but she managed to quickly pull herself together and answered.

"No. Not at all. What do you need?" Diana moved from the window and she stood next to her big wooden desk that was placed in the middle of her office.

"Mr. Johnson wants to make an appointment to discuss the expenses of the last quarter, does the Friday 7 o'clock sounds good?" Poppy mocked the way Mark Johnson talked with his very strong accent and lisp. It made Diana chuckle.

"Sure. Sounds fine. Just tell him not to be late again, I will not wait for him if he doesn't make it on time. Time is money for Heaven's sake." After these words Poppy left her boss's office and started dialing the number on the telephone. As she was about to say something to the receiver, she she noticed a figure that was walking towards her desk.

"Can I help you sir?" Poppy was an American, her foreign accent confused the man.

"I would like to make an appointment." His voice was cold and it sounded almost as a threat. Poppy ignored Mr. Johnson's voice in the receiver and opened a book on her desk.

"Is tomorrow at noon suitable for you, sir?" Poppy asked as she was brushing through the pages.

"Nothing sooner?"

"I'm afraid not. Why so hurry?" Poppy looked at the man trying to read anything from his face expression but unfortunately he managed to stay cool the entire time.

"I'm not from here." Poppy once again glanced at the notes and dates in the calendar curiously asking.

"Where are you from sir?" She wanted to check whether she could get the attention of the man but he still seemed to be lost in his thoughts staring at the Poppy's documents on the desk.

"Birmingham." The answer was quick, almost as if it was a secret or a mysterious code.

"Birmingham... Quite a journey you've made Mister...?"

"Shelby. Name's Thomas Shelby." Poppy looked him straight in the eyes and immediately felt uncomfortable. She knew him. His reputation was ahead of him and the news about the famous English gangster and his bloody works have been spreading faster than the Great Plague. Poppy eventually decided not to care about the rumors and treat Thomas Shelby as a regular visitor to her boss's office.

"I'm afraid Mr. Shelby that tomorrow noon is the only available time right now. Shall I book you an appointment?"

"Eh."

After filling the gap in the calendar Poppy lifted her head to the man and said.

"You got yourself an appointment Mr. Shelby."

"Tomorrow noon it is." He replied before leaving in the shadows of the corridor.

Diana was working late as usual. When she finished, it was almost midnight so she wanted to gather her things as quickly as possible and leave to get some sleep before the next day. As she was turning off the light in her office she glanced at the calendar on Poppy's desk to remind herself of the tomorrow meetings. She was surprised to see the noon gap filled with an appointment. She looked at the Poppy's handwriting and had to come closer to have a better view. She wasn't sure if her eyes were pulling a leg on her. Diana couldn't believe it. Tomorrow she will be having a meeting with Thomas Shelby.

A very old friend of hers.