Part 2: An offer

Diana could hear the raindrops pounding on the window the whole night. It wasn't something unusual to rain in England but she could swear that this time it was much heavier, almost as if the rain was a bad omen. A couple of minutes after six she left her bed and made her way to the bathroom. She wet her face with cold water to wake up fully. She caught herself thinking about Thomas Shelby the entire way back home from the office but as soon as she felt the softness of the cushion, Diana feel asleep. For her sake, Thomas didn't make it to her dreams.

She took a quick morning shower and put the clothes on. She glanced at herself in the mirror and to her surprise she looked oddly similar to her mother. White blouse with big bow on the neck, dark skirt that fitted her perfectly, curly hair and dark eyes full of care and concern. She had stared for too long.
The image she saw in the reflection has made Diana sit by the table with an intention to write a letter to her family. She wrote some words and crossed them out almost immediately. She was repeating this action a couple more times when she decided not to write at all. She hid the paper in the bottom drawer and left the apartment not glancing on the mirror any more.

There weren't many people on the streets. Maybe it was because of the rain, or maybe the world was simply in Diana's favor. Surprisingly, the perspective of the meeting with an old friend hasn't bothered Diana at all. She even though that maybe it wasn't going to be him. Thomas is a quite popular name, she even knew many Thomases herself. Diana managed to stick to this assumption for the rest of the morning.

Around ten o'clock Poppy entered Diana's office and asked her to come to the receiver in order to speak with Mr. Johnson. Mark Johnson was a genuine person but he had one inadequacy - he was paranoid. He was calling Diana's office almost every day complaining about his unqualified book keeper and expressing fear of being sued for a tax fraud. On top of that, he ordered Poppy to book him appointments 4 times a month to be able to keep the track of his expenses and to look over his company's books with Diana. This day wasn't in any way different.

"I am no lawyer Mr. Johnson but please don't worry about it, it happens all the time. Just cross out the number and put the correct one next to it. No, no, no... It's not a fraud, it's a mistake. If being off beam was a crime, we would all have life sentences. Don't worry," she signed. She has been on the phone for what seems to be ages. Finally the caller hung up and Diana could get back to working. As she was about to leave the Poppy's desk, her secretary stopped her and handed her an envelope.

"It came today. Normally I would open it but it seems not to be a business call."

"Thank you," said Diana turning on her feet and heading straight to her office.

She sat in her chair and was obsessively staring at the sender of the letter. Anna Mae Dover. Diana's mother.

She had to read the letter twice or more to get the true intention of it. Her mother was perfect at beating around the bush. She asked Diana to visit her and mentioned some important details that needed to be discussed in person. Diana felt dissatisfy with the letter. It was like receiving a tax writing or an information about the rent. If it wasn't for the name on the envelope she would never guess that the letter was written by someone so close to her. Anna Mae specifically emphasized that the matter was urgent so Diana decided not to waste any time and told Poppy to call off any appointment for the rest of the week. However, there was one person who desperately needed to see her.

Diana was confused. She barely ate anything when she got home, taking the time to pack the most necessary things. She spent the day on overthinking various scenarios and remembering her family. Have they changed? Are they in good health? She didn't even know if they were safe. Since they stopped exchanging letters she had no information about their whereabouts. She was even wondering if someone had died and she didn't attend the funeral. This thought made her eyes watery but she didn't shed a tear.