❧ 𝟏:𝟎𝟐

chapter two | in which she gets knocked over

A whole week had passed since Maggie arrived in the Outer Banks. In that week she's gone to the beach almost a thousand times. Anything was better than staying at the mansion all day. She's been trying to avoid the bio parents at all cause, since they've been trying to buy her affection with gifts. The only one who hasn't tried to buy her affection is Milo.

He understood his sister needed time to adjust to all the changes in her new life. He knew it was hard for her to open up. So, he decided to give her space and wait until she was ready to open up to him.

In the last week, Maggie had formed a close friendship with Anderson, whose name Maggie learned was actually Allister. Allister has been so sweet to the young girl, keeping his word to her father. He has been driving her around Figure Eight. But most of the time Maggie requests to be taken elsewhere. Allister always agrees to her wishes so she's seen as far as the Cut goes as well as the mainland.

Today had been no different. Allister had arrived early to perform his duties on the Gilmore family vehicle. The usual washing, vacuuming, and air freshening. Maggie had only been up for a couple of hours and at that time decided to call her friends, family, and boyfriend. After getting off the phone with Sweet Pea, Maggie ate her breakfast quickly before running out the door toward Allister.

The older man was just finishing up his cleaning when he noticed the young Jones girl walk up to him.

"Good morning, Ms. Maggie." Allister smiled as he finished drying the window with a white cloth.

Since their friendship had formed Maggie had to ask Allister if he could call her Maggie instead of Scarlett. He was hesitant at first because he didn't know how her father would react. But Meg insured him that it was fine and that he only had to call her Maggie when they were alone. He's still very hesitant but nevertheless, he agreed.

Maggie smiled as she climbed onto the open car door. "Good morning, Allister." Maggie looked around their surroundings before glancing back at Allister. "How has your morning been going."

Allister continued to wipe the water droplets off the car. His head tilted up to look at her. "It's been normal, Ms. Maggie. I've been doing the same routine for months now."

Maggie nodded with a sigh. She placed her chin on her hand as she watched Allister move back to place the cloth back in its bucket. "Is there any place we can go to change that?"

Ever since her father made Allister drive Maggie around town they've tried to see as much as they can. There hasn't been a place they haven't gone so Maggie was starting to lose hope of seeing any new locations.

Allister moved away from the car to place the cleaning equipment back in the shed. When he turned back Maggie was able to see his mind clouded with thoughts and ideas. Suddenly he smiled.