zero

|Chapter Zero|

There are times when a person finds themselves looking into a mirror but cannot recognize the one staring back at them – right now, in a dimly lit room, was one of those times.

Carlos could only stare, unable to tear his gaze away from the mirror in front of him. He blinked, yet no matter how many times he did, what he saw didn't change, not a falter, not a blur.

The reflection in the mirror wasn't his own.

He swallowed, slowly lifting his hand up to his face, his fingers waved through the air, yet the person in the reflection didn't copy his action, only staring at him with a smile.

Carlos finds himself holding back a shriek as whoever or whatever he was seeing waved back.

His feet instinctively moved, steeping away as his face twisted into a mixture of surprise and fear.

"What – are –" He muttered, eyeing the large mirror in front of him. He felt his heart beating against his chest, adrenaline pumping through him in waves. Whatever he was looking at, wasn't human, or at least wasn't fully, they carried a warm glow, eyes that looked at him almost curiously, a bright golden color.

Carlos watched, as the stranger leaned forward, a finger up in the air – moving in a strange motion. He blinked, and suddenly, the familiar sight of his face greeted him once more, the reflection clear, his own.

His eyes moved, scanning each corner, for something, for an indication that what happened was real. Not just a figment of his own tired mind. He stilled, eyes narrowing tightly, as he read the word over and over.

"Hi." – was the word drawn across the corner of the mirror.