chaopter two

We arrived back at the base. [espress] walked out to greet us and his eyes immediately widened. I was still in shock from our encounter. [espress] took [name] from my arms and set him on the tall bed, everyone started talking and explained things to [nb]. [espress] shooed us out of the room and everyone just sat down and talked. The air was anxious, while we ate lunch there were pitiful attempts to change the subject, all failing.

"I mean I'm worried about [name] and it'll be bad if he dies but... at least it wasn't one of us."

"Heh, yeah and if he dies well, we have each other!"

"More food!"

I felt sick, this was how everyone felt about him. But I feel the same way right...? Feeling uncertain and guilty, I quietly excused myself and went to lay down for a bit.

But while I slept the only thing on my mind was [name].

He was a strange character, even when we first met, he was alone, almost waiting for us. He acted all big and often laughed in the face of peril. Overconfidence I originally thought he had, turned into immature jokings and obnoxious behaviour. And it's strange how he acts the same despite constant expressions of annoyance and even loathing. Yet, he teases and taunts all the same. I don't know if he's bad at reading the room, or if it's part of his plan.

And come to think of it, I know nothing about him.

I wake up. My stomach churns, but I know I'm not sick. I drag myself out of bed and walk over to the bed [name] lies. His arm is wrapped up now and nobody is talking about it anymore, so probably two hours or something passed... Pulling up a chair beside it, I speak to the unconscious person. "Y'know [name], you confuse me..." I start, feeling awkward talking aloud to myself. Clearing my throat, I continue. "You act so childish like nobody cares and... you know we didn't really like each other so why..." I cup my face in my hands. I want to slam my fist into the surface, but I don't want to disturb the patient. "Why... did you take the arrow..?!" my voice cracks slightly. "You know I hated you... you know we hate you, so why do you do so much..." I trail off, searching for words to describe how I feel. I don't even know anymore, it's dumb to suddenly like someone because they're injured... I raise my head and rest my arms. Or maybe, I just thought for once, I bet [name] would tease about how I don't think below the surface or whatever.

A sudden groan breaks my thoughts. And to my surprise, it was [name].

I gasp. "Hey, how are you feeling?" A glimmer of hope sparkles.

He slowly opens his eyes, blinking and taking a few seconds to adjust to the light. "Why doesn't... my arm hurt... anymore. There's only pain in my shoul-" he breaks off when he turns his head to his right side. I watch, unable to speak as his eyes widen in horror, his face paling. "What happened to my arm!? WHERE IS MY FUCKING ARM!?" he yells, panic rising in his voice.

I hear voices outside the door, but nobody walks in. Can't they hear how scared he sounds...? "It's okay! We had to re-" I tried to calmly explain.

"IT'S OKAY!? IS YOUR BRAIN FULL OF SHIT?!" he screams. He looks down while his body trembles when he raises his remaining arm to his face. "Wh- where i- is m- m- my..." his voice lowered and quivered.

"There was no way we could have removed the rock, this was the best option-" I tried again but...

"I said let me die. Are you fucking deaf or just i- ignorant? When a guy says let him die, LEAVE HIM! YOU SHOULD HAVE LET ME MAKE MY NOBLE SACRIFICE!" he retorts blatantly.

Seeing through his facade, I don't react to his outburst and go on with my careful words. "I can't just let a guy die." I insist.

He frowns. "Oh, so what? You're all so high and mighty now? Knightly and bound by honour?" he sneered, his words still slightly slurring.