Chapter Four: Staying the Night

"I don't think using a sword is the best idea," Ichiro said while staring at the tantō in Hideo's right hand. "It almost seems like you want to kill me..."

Hideo chuckled at him like he was a fool. Ichiro looked to Kumiko, and she whispered so only they could hear. "Let me handle this for now..."

Ichiro wasn't sure what she had planned, but he allowed her to step forward and approach Hideo regardless.

"With all due respect, I don't believe violence will help in this situation."

Hideo's smile faded. He began to unsheath the tantō against their wishes, and Kumiko stepped back in alarm.

"What are you doing? I thought-"

"It's not what you think. Just watch closely."

The blade of the tantō emitted a soft white glow as it slipped out completely. Ichiro gasped. "I... I must admit that looks impressive. But, what does it mean?"

Hideo turned the weapon around in his hand. "This is one of many swords enchanted by Queen Izanami herself. All it takes is one stab through a person's heart or neck to eject their soul and consciousness."

Kumiko crossed her arms before saying what was also on Ichiro's mind. "You know, that just sounds like regular killing to me."

"Perhaps, but there's more to it." Hideo sheathed the tantō again, causing its glow to diminish. "Let's say that I was to stab the man who has stolen your husband's body. He'd be instantly forced out, and I would be able to take him into custody."

"And then what?"

"There would be a window of only a few seconds in which Ichiro can reenter his body. Any later, and it would simply reject him."

Ichiro froze. Such a plan seemed quite susceptible to failure, and the thought of being stuck as a ghost while his physical body decayed was terrifying. He glanced at Kumiko, hoping for some comfort, but she appeared just as shaken.

"That... That sounds a little farfetched," she murmured. "How do I know if you're telling the truth?"

With a sigh, Hideo placed the tantō back where it belonged. "I'm afraid you can't. You'll just have to trust me."

Kumiko fell silent for a moment. She stared at the ground in deep thought, then raised her head to speak. "Very well. How would you like to stay the night with us? The place is crowded, but I could always ask one of our guests to leave..."

Ichiro knew that Kumiko wasn't the sort of person to throw out somebody wounded, so he assumed that she was referring to the irritating Futoshi.

"Of course," Hideo replied with a smile of delight. "I look forward to your hospitality. It will be less hassle than finding a hotel, that's for sure."

Kumiko nodded before turning to lead the way. Her gait proved unsteady, and Ichiro feared something terrible had happened to her in his absence. He prepared to grab her hand but stopped, remembering that no matter how much he wanted to love and support her, he was still a ghost with the inability to touch.

For this reason, he desperately hoped that Hideo's precarious plan would succeed. Otherwise, he would be stuck in a living hell with the only means of escape being something much worse.

******

To Ichiro's relief, Kumiko was all too glad to have time alone with him after she ensured Hideo was comfortable in the living room. With a weary smile, she guided him to the bathroom before shutting the door to give them some privacy.

"You may have guessed it already, but I'm exhausted," she muttered while brushing a hand across her forehead. "I can't stay awake for much longer-"

"That's fine!" Ichiro found himself blurting out. Kumiko flinched at the sound of his voice, so he followed up by speaking quietly. "Have all the rest you need. I can deal with solitude for a few hours."

Kumiko nodded her head while blinking to stay alert. "Do you mean that?"

"Of course." Ichiro smiled down at her. "Your welfare is important to me, even if it doesn't always seem that way." He reached out to touch her shoulders, and though his hands slipped through, that didn't stop Kumiko from leaning towards his chest.

"Thank you. For being here with me." She gazed up at him, and her lips briefly quivered before retreating. "I'll let you keep watch. If something unusual happens, just wake me up."

Kumiko's tousled curls bobbed as she turned away from him. Ichiro couldn't understand why any woman would wear their hair in such a way, though he found it rather charming on her.

He swallowed while haunted by the knowledge that he might never be able to kiss or hold her in his arms again. It was a difficult prospect to accept, and feeling reluctant to leave her alone, Ichiro forced himself to say the words he'd kept inside for several days.

"Kumiko, I love you."

She stopped in the middle of opening the door, then gazed back at him tenderly. "I love you too. May we be together again soon..."

Kumiko slipped out of his sight, and he was left standing alone in the bright white room. He turned his head to look out the window above the wash basin. The night sky was a dark gray, and the stars were obscured by clouds, which reminded him of an evening he had recently spent at his friend Shinrokurō's house.

Only, it wasn't a month that had passed, but almost four centuries. Shinrokurō had undoubtedly continued with life until death came knocking again. This realization filled Ichiro with a yearning to discover what had happened to all of his peers, and checking on Hideo seemed like a wise way to start.

Ichiro made his way through the open bathroom door and drifted along the hallway until he arrived by the living room. Hideo was on the couch, covered by a spare blanket, while a pile of folded clothes rested on the chair nearby. He cleared his throat, prompting the shinigami to stir and then rise with a groan.

"Who's there?" Hideo rubbed at his forehead before making eye contact. "Oh, it's you. What do you want?"

"To talk with you again. Is now a good time?"

"No," the shinigami replied with surprising bluntness. "This body is making me tired. I need all the rest I can get."

Ichiro doubted his hearing. "Body? What's that supposed to mean?"

"Shut your mouth. I'll tell you in the morning."

At that, Hideo slumped back down to begin dozing and snoring away. Ichiro stared at the older man's sleeping form for a while, then sat at the edge of the couch in resignation.

You really are a strange and mysterious fellow. But I intend to uncover your secrets sooner or later...

******

Note: I described Kumiko's hairstyle earlier in this chapter, but below is an example of how it would look in real life.