This must be love

Eddie felt like the buzzing in his veins finally calmed down, with Chris between him and Buck, and Buck's hand casually playing with the hair on the back of his head. Eddie felt relieved, knowing that things weren't as awkward as he thought they would be after Eddie's little confession.

Buck decided that a blanket fort wasn't enough and that some sort of huge nest of blankets and pillows was more fitting for the situation. Not that Eddie was complaining. He felt comfortable, surrounded with all the blankets and pillows in the house. There was a small mountain of snacks in front of them and Moana was playing on the TV. The people who care about him were there, and that's all that mattered in the moment.

But still, he couldn't stop his mind from wandering towards his parents. What are they going to do now? The way they left seemed way too easy and left him with a pit of unease in his stomach. His parents are stubborn people, way too stubborn to give up this easily. He knew they'd try something, but he just didn't know what. Would they try to get custody? Surely they wouldn't be that drastic…

...right?

How would a custody battle with them even go? Would he even have a chance? He's a single dad with a dangerous job. Doesn't that play against him?

Eddie must have zoned out, because next thing he knows, Buck is tapping his shoulder, getting Eddie out of his trance. The credits were rolling on the screen, and when he looked down, Christopher was already fast asleep, leaning on Buck.

When he met Buck's eyes, the other man nodded at him.

I got him .

Eddie tried to convey his gratefulness through his eyes, not just for this but for everything Buck has done for him today and every day before.

Buck took Chris in his arms, standing up. He stood there for a few seconds. Chris barely stirred, just turning to bury his face in Buck's chest. Eddie had to bite his tongue so he doesn't do something stupid, like kiss Buck, at the sight of Buck's face when he looks down at Chris. It was filled with so much awe, like he can't believe he exists even after more than three years of knowing him, and love. Eddie knew that Buck loved Chris like he was his own, but seeing it with his own eyes still took his breath away.

He followed Buck as he carried their son - because there is no denying it now - towards his bedroom. He stood in the doorway and watched as Buck tucked Christopher in, brushing curls off his face and kissing his forehead.

"Love you, kiddo." Buck whispered and then met Eddie's gaze. Eddie felt his heart skip a beat. "I'm gonna go get him a glass of water in case he gets thirsty."

With that, Buck left the room and Eddie took his place beside Chris. He ran his hand in Chris's hair, letting the soft bronze curls pass through his fingers.

He will fight to keep his son, come hail or high water. And deep down, he knows his family here will too. He knows that his parents won't stay away for long, and he braces himself to deal with whatever they throw at him.

He kissed his son's forehead, silently promising him that he'll do everything in his power. Buck came into the room with the glass, leaving it on the bedside table beside Christopher's glasses.

Together, they left the room, leaving the door cracked open in case Chris wakes up and needs them.

Buck nodded toward the kitchen, a question in his eyes. Eddie nodded back, following him. He dropped onto one of the  dining chairs. Buck opened the fridge, retrieving two beers. Eddie accepted one silently.

They sat in silence, neither really wanting to break it. It was a long day, and Eddie didn't really know where to begin. But he knows that Buck is right. He can't keep bottling shit up.  And he'd rather talk to Buck than anyone. But there was just a lot of shit to unpack and he'd rather not open that box, lest everything he buried deep down drown him.