Agony of a Cat

Broken, unloved, unappreciated, a malignant stain on the surface of etheria that was never meant to be more than cast aside. Catra's thoughts of herself created an inner turmoil that she had been battling since Adora had left. Her blond haired companion hadn't only turned her back on the Horde but had turned her back on the once fruitful friendship the two had shared. The friendship that had sometimes seemed like much much more. These memories invade Catra's mind as her bloodshot eyes dart across the hallways of the Frightzone. Places that always reeked of decay and agony still held such beauty in the brightest corners of her now darkened mind. These memories often eluded her until their very presence would only serve to remind her of the betrayal she'd faced. A spark from one of the many broken monitors brought Catra out of her thoughts and into the reality that was just as damaged as she was. Electricity coursed through the room and tears slid down her slender cheeks. Her face was always thin, however the weeks of malnourishment and inability to sleep had made her frail. She had nobody she could trust, The Frightzone was filled with cowards and liars, both of which Catra saw in herself. Even Scorpia had gone, driven away by Catra's inevitability to ruin anything good that could happen in her life.

Catra stood and surveyed the room. Her headdress laid on the ground, slick with the tears that had fallen. She went to reach for it but instead decided to exit the room.

Frantic movements and muscle spasms caused her to look feverish and sickly as she made her ways down the dim lit hallways. She was looking for something. Comfort.

Catra ended up standing at the foot of the bed she and Adora had shared. It was really Adora's bed, assigned to her by the horde, but the fact remained they slept in it together. Catra's blankets were still made on the top bunk, perfectly untouched as they had been for years. This brought a slight smile to the face of someone who had almost forgotten how it felt. The blankets on the bottom bunk were still a mess. Never fixed from the day Adora left. The scratch that Catra had put through their drawings on the wall was a constant reminder to her that their.... Friendship. Was over. However it was something she regretted damaging everytime she passed the squad bay.

Catra felt herself laying down. The blankets were shredded from her previous outbursts of anger yet a still lingering familiarity of her companion remained. Security.

Entangled in what remained, she felt tears begin to roll down her face once again. Memories began to play over in her mind.

Adora and Catra were laying opposite each other with their feet entangled in the middle. There were no training exercises planned for the day, so the two teenagers could just lay about the Frightzone and enjoy a day of recovery.

"Hey Adora..." Catra felt a tingling sensation in her stomach as she brushed her foot against Adora's calf. This feeling had been a recurring instance every time she had come in physical contact with her partner.... honestly, it also happened most times she'd even thought about the other girl. The tingling was driving her crazy and she felt like she hadn't had anyone to confide in about it.

"Yeah Catra?" The far more bubbly girl replied.

"Have you ever felt like... a tingling feeling in your stomach.. Like there were bugs crawling around in it?"

"Catra, are there bugs in your stomach?!? Do I need to get help?!?" Adora shot up instantly, face slightly panicked.

"No no... it's just like.. A feeling." Catra replied, feeling her face begin to heat up. What was happening to her body?

"I don't think so? When does it happen to you?" Adora was now leaning her arms onto Catra's knees for support.

Looking up at the blond girl only made the feelings more intense. Catra felt herself lift off of the ground so that their faces were only inches away. Their knees hugging in the center.

"It only really happens when I'm around you." She admitted.

"Well maybe I need to stay away from you, so your stomach doesn't feel weird" The blond laughed as she began to move away. Catra's hand reached out instantly grabbing her partner's wrist. Adora glanced down confused.

"No no... it's.. A good feeling" She smiled.

"Okay.." Adora smiled as she started to lay back down on her bed. This time she pulled Catra up with her. The two girls now laid face to face on Adora's pillow. Catra's Heart was beating fast, she could tell her face was burning up. Something caught her eyes, did Adora's cheeks turn red? Was the Blond girl blushing too?

"Actually... I think I know what you mean... about the tingling."

A powerful metallic step brought her out of her memories and back into the harsh reality she felt forced to endure.

"Force Captain" The words uttered in a voice that bellowed so distinctly, chills extended down the back of her body as all feline hairs stood on end. Her security that the memories of Adora had brought was once again proven to be what it always was. Another Lie.