o. chapter eight

<CHAPTER EIGHT: THERE'S NOTHING MORE ROMANTIC THAN BEING FRIENDS<

"Anya has grown two millimeters since the last time" the child states with a smile while stepping off the height checker, and running towards her mother

"Anya has grown two millimeters since the last time" the child states with a smile while stepping off the height checker, and running towards her mother. "It must be a margin of error" Loid replies while looking at the two of them. It was nearly impossible that a child could grow that much in a span of a few days. "Maybe not, children grow up fast" the receptionist answers while Byzantine frowns, "That's right" she answers with a smile. 

"Then should we have them a little bigger just in case she grows into them?" Loid asks while looking at the woman, Byzantine nods. "I guess so" she answers. It could take years to extract information from Desmond. "Did you study in Eden? Mr. Loid?" the woman asks while Loid shakes his head. 

"No, I'm a third-rate countryside graduate" he replied while scratching the back of his neck. The woman's eyes darken, while measuring Anya's shoulders. 

"Then you must be very careful. Eden is a long established school and there's a thick wall between the non-alumni and the alumni. That seems to breed discrimination with the children and bullying with the kids." The woman explained while the atmosphere began to thicken. 

Anya was a little nervous, it was quite evident that she would have a hard time trying to fit in. Especially since Loid and Byzantine didn't prepare her for joining the upper echelon. 

"There are other problems like the children being arrogant and people kidnapping the kids to ask for ransom" the woman enunciated while standing up. 

Anya was not really really nervous. Hiding her face in the woman's skirts, Loid chuckles.

 "Well, we're more than capable in protecting Anya" he replies while the woman hands him the uniform. Byzantine stares at Anya once more who had tears running out of her eyes, "I didn't mean to make you scared" the receptionist chuckles while looking at the child with a smile. 

"There are a lot of fun things there too, I'm sure" she adds while the family quickly walks away. 

"She was weirdly bitter," Byzantine notes while holding Anya's hands. "Anya is scared" the child says while hiding in the woman's skirt. It seemed like the receptionists' little speech did scare the soul out of Anya. "No one is going to do anything to you, Anya" Loid comforts while picking up the child and carrying it. 

"But the woman said that--" Anya gets interrupted by Byzantine. "She's lying, and you're safe with us." she replies while wiping the child's tears away.  Anya burrows her face in the man's shoulders while Loid only sighs. He should've stopped the old lady from sprouting her nonsense, especially around his daughter. 

"But it's still possible isn't it?" Byzantine asks while holding her purse in her left hand and holding Loid's hand in the right. "Byzantine!" he scolds while she shrugs. It wasn't entirely impossible, but she's already been kidnapped the first time--I'm sure it won't be that hard to get her back.