even my phone (misses your call ) | spencer reid

hey everyone! this is a spencer drabble based on harry styles's 'from the dining table'. I hope you enjoy !!

Woke up alone in this hotel room
Played with myself, where were you?

Spencer wakes to a lonely bed and lonely soul.

The phone buzzes on the bedside table and he reaches for it almost desperately, fingers closing around the metal and voice answering with an embarrassingly breathy, "Hello?"

JJ's voice comes through the line and his sleep-muddled mind mistakes it for yours, just for a second. Just for a blissful second, before he registers her urgency and throws off the sheets with a sinking feeling that can only mean disappointment.

Woke up the girl who looked just like you
I almost said your name

When you've gotten used to sleeping alone, your brain is confused when you wake up next to a girl resembling your ex-lover. That's exactly what happens when Spencer wakes to a warm bed, body gently breathing beside him.

He's not alone, not in the sense that he has no one, but he is lonely. Lonely in the sense that every day, his phone boasts no missed call from you. Lonely in that his eyes mistake her hair for yours, his nose mistakes her perfume for yours, his ears trick his brain into believing her breaths are your snores.

Your name escapes Spencer's lips before his mind catches up to his mouth.

She doesn't stir, and he runs a hand over his tired eyes. His phone rings, the sharp trill cutting through the silence of the dawn, and he doesn't bother pretending it's you. Instead, he turns away from the girl who warmed his bed for the night and answers Hotch's call.

Maybe one day you'll call him, and say you made a mistake. Say you think of him every day, dream of him every night.

But until then, his phone remains full of calls from everyone but the one he still loves. Both man and technology forever waiting for your call.

Maybe one day you'll call me and tell me that you're sorry too

"Hello?"

"Spencer? It's me. I'm... sorry. For everything."

"y/n?"