Part 3

Morning, August 5

The next morning, I woke up feeling like a new person. I wondered what would this day lead up to. Same inconsequential occurrences that basically run my life, or this day had promised to bring much more. The house was ghost-quiet, except the sound of air moving inside my room. I'd usually woke up to a call, a text message or mother calling out for me, but mostly, the hate and regret splashes water on me. I got up from my bed rubbing my eyes. My mouth felt dry, I must have slept with an open mouth and snored. My legs felt like cooked noodles. I went downstairs, and there was no chatter going around nor any movement. Mother and Father must have gone for grocery shopping. I felt weird being home alone and a shiver ran down my spine, the sudden silence of the house and the time-consuming process of deciding between chores. I limped to the living room and saw more faces than just my parents. As soon as they saw me, they cheered. I jumped back about to run away until I realized It was my birthday. Glitter surrounded the room and everyone gleamed at me with happiness. Their eyes so full of merriment and excitement. I heaved a big sigh and covered my ears when everyone shouted "Happy Birthday, Glenda!". Evie was really loud. Her thin and high voice even got through my covered ears. I hugged my parents, Evie and thanked everyone else serving my part. Even Chris came that surprised me. I hadn't gone to his party last night, but he came. What did Evie feed him? There was uncle Matt with his pretty little girlfriend, only few years above my age and there were both of my grandmothers. Sadly, their husbands and my grandfathers have passed away earlier. They still seemed strong and determined. I'd had always loved their strength and their love for me. And of course, Mother had invited the neighbors too. Everyone sat drinking and eating the cake which I had cut, obviously. I searched the room for him, but he wasn't there. Disappointed, I went to Evie and Chris and said, 'Hey, Evie and ah, um, Chris. Thank you for coming.' They hadn't yet mentioned anything about last night so I had to apologize 'And, Sorry. I couldn't come to the party last night, guys. I had a long day and..'' Evie cut me off ''Yeah. About that... Chris's parents got home earlier so he had to exclude the party. I didn't remember telling you earlier. So yeah. that's that.'' Evie explains, shrugging and exchanging a side look with Chris. Though, I couldn't care less. Parties are overrated. '' Well, I guess that didn't turn out too well." Chris emphasizes with a lame chuckle. I didn't really believe Chris being on my birthday. He wasn't a birthday party guy. He just wasn't. He looked bored the whole time. Evie wore a stewed-red dress, and heels that made her look even taller. Her hair was in a perfect ponytail and eyelashes as a model from the Victoria Secret's show. She looked better and neat than the women who work as models. I envied her for that and adored her at the same time. The three of us walked in our flower garden holding a glass of drink. Evie bore the glass in her left hand. Her rings on her left hand shone and made her look like her contrary - alcoholic. She barely drinks which is a trait I like about her. ''Do you think I should get another ring?'' She said when she caught me staring at them. She's very picky about her appearance. She'd do anything to look good. I shrugged to show her I didn't care. Chris said ''They look good on you. Glenda's probably. uh'' Don't say it, Just Don't ''She's just a bit jealous, I think'' He said it. Who the hell was he making accusations over our friendship? I hated him for a moment. Who the hell did he think he was? I mouthed the f-bomb over to Evie and she rolled her eyes and waved me off. I could tell Chris regretted it when he changed the topic and added, ''I'll probably throw another party to make up for the disaster last night. Right? Everyone will be calling me a goof or something? You both are welcome anytime.'' Evie and I exchanged a look ''Sounds good!!' both of us said, simultaneously. We sat on the ground near the group of peonies, dahlias and sunflowers. I liked their smell and liked just looking at them. Evie and Chris held hands. It still felt weird that they were in a relationship. It's like last night they saw each other on someone's party and now they were hooking up. ''Hey, your parents won't be leaving anywhere soon so I think we should do the party on a cruise. A ship that can just float in nowhere and we can just party like hell!'' Evie said, more like announcing it and throwing her hands in the air. ''You think so? That'd be awesome. But how would we get the boat though?'' He processed, tapping his chin. ''We'll ask your uncle Dave to rent it and we'll pay. He's a man of parties.'' Evie suggested, acting as a professional for all of it. ''I haven't seen him for a while and don't know where he is.'' Chris got up pulling the phone out and gave a thumbs up to Evie. She was pleased, and blushed. He walked away to call his uncle. Though, I didn't get why the party was so essential and needed. ''What do you say? You want to come?'' Evie asked me, eyeing me up and down. ''Well now that things are good with you and Chris. I think I'll consider.'' I said, trying not to sound excited. ''What do you mean? We've always been fine'' A blank face passes her. ''I know, I know. It's not you, It's him. Have you seen the way he looks at other women?'' I explain, trying hard not to disappoint her or her feelings. He'll definitely break her heart; my instincts tell me. I can't count how many times Evie got her heart broken. Chris doesn't respect being on a relationship. He eyes girls in ways that seems promiscuous. I could feel him looking at me up and down that morning. I didn't say it so as not to hurt Evie's feelings. ''Well, all men are alike. Why don't you come to the party and we'll look out for each other'' Evie clarifies, but she was irritated. However, I love how considerate and caring she is at times.