Nine - Scorpius

Sorry that it's taken me so long to update! I've been incredibly busy with school and exams at the moment, so much so that I've hardly had time for Wattpad at all. But now that my exams are over you'll definitely be seeing more updates on all of my stories!

Thank you for your patience, and enjoy the update!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Malfoy, would you please get over here and help me?"

Noellia's voice cut into my day dream, and as my eyes flew open, they fell instantly upon my colleague. As usually, she looked stunning, although it was a change to see her dressed in jeans, jumpers and trainers rather than the pencil skirts and blouses she wore in the office. Not for the first time in the month or two that I had known her, I found myself admiring her, not only for how beautiful she was, but for how strong.

Noellia was one of the few girls I had met who refused to fall victim to my Malfoy charms. She was tough and fearless in a way that I had never seen before - I'd seen her take down a man three times her size in training with her bare hands - and yet she still managed to retain that pixie-like charisma that entranced me so much. Noellia was sassy and yet sweet to those whom she deemed worthy of her affection, bold and yet quiet when it was called for, brave and honest and fair. She was everything I wanted - everything that I could ever want.

The only problem was, she despised me.

I'd made a huge amount of effort to win her over; I'd bought her flowers, complimented her hair and her right hook, asked her opinion on spells and defensive enchantments, but none of it seemed to have any effect. Whenever I spoke to her, she had an expression of perpetual loathing on her elegant face, and whenever she spoke to me, her voice was always dripping with sarcasm or distaste. I tried to tell myself that if she wasn't interested, so be it - there were plenty of other selkies in the lake, as they say - but it was no use.

As much as she annoyed me, infuriated me, and as much as she loathed me, I was infatuated with Noellia Star.

I'd even asked my mother for the Malfoy Locket, with the intention of giving it to Noellia one day, although whether she would allow anything to develop between us - as I so desperately hoped - I was unsure. I hadn't ever considered giving Rosalie the locket, even though I had thought I was in love with her at the time, but something within me knew that I wanted Noellia to wear my mother's locket, the necklace that meant so much to my family since it had saved my parents and countless others lives. I wanted her to be mine.

Not wanting to argue, since Noellia's wrath was something I could go without with a hangover, I stood up, and winced at the sore tenderness of my head. I knew firewhiskey was a bad idea when I had to work the next day, but that hadn't stopped myself and some of the other aurors drinking it last night whilst we played with a muggle contraption called a deck of cards. Of course those of our group who were muggle born, half-blood or who had been raised in the muggle world were familiar with the games and so they had emerged this morning with relatively clear heads, but for those pure bloods or aurors who had never played cards before, we were certainly feeling a little worse for wear.

Noellia hadn't taken part in last night's games, much to my dismay. Instead she had stayed within her tent, politely welcoming any visitors who stuck their head in to say hello or ask for her, all visitors except me that is. When I'd asked her if she wanted to join us, she'd looked up from her notes, pursed her lips and raised an eyebrow, and from that disapproving look alone I knew she didn't want to take part.

I rubbed my forehead with a frown as I walked over to where Noellia was stood with a clipboard. Her grey eyes flicked up to look at me as I approached, and then she cast them back down to look at her clipboard again, which she was studying intensely.