Blackout

Gwen Byers was a girl that didn't let her past define her. Despite being kidnapped by a creature from an alternate dimension at the whopping age of seven and then captured again by an evil scientist wanting to use her powers, she was the most loyal and yellow person you'd ever meet. Gwen was bouncing in her seat in front of the dining room table from excitement.

It was nearing sundown, 7:15, to be exact but she didn't care. Her heart was happy as she looked out the window to see Johnathan Byers 1971 Ford Galaxie 500 pull up in front of the driveway. The evening sunlight cast long shadows on the ground as the slanting rays of the setting sun gave a warm orange tinge to the sky. Nancy Wheeler couldn't help but grin when she hopped out of her boyfriend's car to see the youngest Byers head peeking up from the kitchen window. Gwen was holding up a pink box of nail polish she and Max had bought yesterday at the mall and Nancy had promised to paint her nails for her.

Summer break had recently started, meaning Gwen no longer had to sneak into Hawkins Middle School to see her friends and then get taken back to Hawkins Elementary School by her mother, meaning she didn't have to wait until later in the day to visit them. Whenever Gwen wasn't with her mom or her friends you could almost always find her with Nancy or Johnathan. The couple had become a packaged deal over the last six months when they started dating officially. Ever since Barbara left Hawkins, the Wheeler girl had filled the void the older girl left for Gwen, acting like an older sister to the 9-year-old.

Gwen let out an excited squeal, bouncing on the tips of her toes when she saw Nancy hold up a nail file and some Q-tips to make polka dots on the blond's nails. The older girl didn't even have a chance to say anything before the front door to the Byer's home burst open and she was pulled inside. Johnathan let out a huff when the door was slammed in his face.

~:~

"Try not to smudge it," Nancy warned as she delicately held Gwen's hand in her own, brushing the sky blue color on the younger girl's ring finger's nail, being careful not to smear the edges. "That's my blood, sweat, and tears in there."

"Wouldn't dare to," the Byers girl laughed as she blew on her nails to help them get dry quicker.

"Are you all done yet?" Johnathan complained from the couch, the girls having to look up at him from their place sitting on the floor.

"No!"

"Okay, jeez," he held his hands up in mock surrender before getting up and going to the kitchen, "I'm gonna go make dinner for when mom gets home."

"I wonder how her date with Hopper went," Nancy wagged her eyebrows at the blond sitting in front of her, making the girl grin, "I know you've been rooting for them to get together, you little matchmaker."

"Well duh," Gwen rolled her eyes mockingly as she flicked her hair over her shoulder, making Nancy laugh, "I'm a Jopper shipper!"

Nancy shook her head in amusement before looking down at her painted hand and checking the other one in the works, "Leave the pinky."

"Why?" Gwen looked up at her, confused.

"Because," she grabbed the tan brown polish Gwen was planning to use for herself later. Nancy pushed it into her hands and winked at the girl, "I want to match you."

"Oh my goodness," Gwen giggled like a schoolgirl as she took the nail polish from her hands and painted her pinky with the tan brown color, unlike the light blue the rest of her nails were, "Johnathan is going to be so jealous."

"Johnathan is going to bash his head into a brick wall if his sister keeps stealing his girlfriend," the said boy yelled from the kitchen, making both of the girls laugh. Gwen picked up Nancy's hand before grabbing the sky blue polish. The small blond bit her lip in concentration, not wanting to mess up as she painted Nancy's pinky finger blue.