Chapter 35

Vena laid atop her bed in the sunset light and pored over documents scrawled with apothecial terms. Through the window drafted a light breeze, briefly swaying the pages and carrying her children's joyful voices as they passed the front gate. The chatter continued through the front door where Bram — who'd been relaxing in the family room — stood to greet them.

"How was the festival?" he asked excitedly, masking his somberness and clasping Vena's hand when she joined them.

"You won't believe how much I ate!" Lillian cried, and began listing the foods on her fingers. "We had grilled, marinated beef, battered perch, roasted vegetables, those sugared pastries—"

"We saw the wizards' display!" Irwin shook his head to regain his composure. "Now I don't know if I want to pursue scholary or thaumaturgy, but I have all summer holiday to decide, so I really shouldn't fret—"

Lillian, having enough of his rambling, pointed to her sister. "Ellie got you both something."

Bram and Vena watched their eldest daughter with curious, expectant eyes. Neither had expected their children to bring home a gift, but it was the first year they'd ever missed the festival. They'd be lying to themselves if they said they hadn't felt a twinge of envy toward their children, so knowing that they brought them back a little piece of the festival was a touching thought alone.

With a small, breathy laugh, Ellie reached into her bag.

"Well, Irwin and Lillian also helped pay for them, so it's not fair to say only I got you something." Resting in her palm was a folded cloth, which she unwrapped to reveal two small, matching jadeite stones with soft, red strands looped through them. She dropped one in each of their hands. "They're charms. A craftsman from a country along the gulf's western coast sold them at his stall. We thought you might like them."

"He said they're blessed by priests," Lillian added. "They're supposed to bring good fortune and good health."

Bram and Vena stared at their little charms, neither unable to resist tearing up at the sentiment. Doing so led to some confusion that visibly worried their children, so Vena smiled and waved her hand.

"I'm sorry, we're just so touched." She pulled all of them into a tight hug.

"We love them," Bram added, leaning his head against Ellie's. "Thank you for such a thoughtful gift."

After pulling away, Vena admired the charm again and ran her thumb over it. "They're beautiful, but I hope they weren't too expensive."

"They were two silver each," Irwin said, "but the craftsman let us have both for three."

"Irwin," Ellie said, sternly. "You're not supposed to tell someone how much a gift cost."

"Oh, sorry! I—I was just happy we saved a silver."

"Well, I hope you had enough coins to get little treasures for yourselves, too." Bram pointed to Lillian. "Especially you, you little glutton."

"Oh, did I get a little treasure or what!" Lillian tucked her thumbs beneath a frog brooch pinned to her tunic. "Take a look at this!"

"How cute," Vena said. "He's really sticking out that one leggie."

Irwin showed off the compact tome he'd been holding with his other book. "I found a pocket guide to the other known Shards."

"That must be some pocket," Bram said, laughing and running his finger across the thick spine.

Ellie simpered and reached back into her bag. "Well, it's no secret what my favorite color is, but it'd be too predictable if I got something green!" In her hand was a silver brooch of a flower with its stem. It was set with red gemstones for the petals. "Instead, I got something to contrast my usual wardrobe."