Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Cupids Disguised

The sound of laughter surrounded the lakeside next day.

Asad grimaced and walked faster than the rest of the group. Zoya being back in her spirits – which he was the most thankful for – only meant he was the butt of most jokes.

She had just spotted four pigeons sitting on an electrical wire at the Ana Sagar Lake - one of the places they visited today. Three of the birds sat together while the lonely grumpy one sat away looking in the opposite direction.

Of course, he was immediately named Asad Ahmed Khan. The man could only but scoff followed with a lame 'whatever'

Puns and stories continued. Delight weaved its way through the whole evening bouncing off different topics.

Back at the hotel, the girls let their hair down and feet up – literally – cooling the tan off their faces. It had been a long day of fun-filled adventure.

"Wait they don't have Aloe vera?!"

"Oh, how dare this seven-star hotel does not have aloe vera in the room so Ms. Noshini can scrub her tan off" Zoya scoffed. Najma giggled.

"Zo, I am not kidding. You know that's the only thing that works for me. Come on, you have to go and arrange it for me"

"What?!"

"I am serious, dude" she moaned.

"Umm...what?" she couldn't shake the comical frown off.

"Do something pleaseee. Aha... take Asad with you, he truly knows everything. He'll find out. What say Najma? Your bhaijaan has the answer to everything, doesn't he?"

"Excuse me, what?" Zoya seemed to have lost her vocabulary.

"Of course, bhaijaan does. Let me call him" And before she could make sense of what was happening Asad was in their room, called under the guise of an emergency.

Understandably he was incredulous.

Girls, he thought. After much deliberation and irritation on Zoya's part, they were both sent on the mission together. "It's a strange town, you can't go alone Zo." And that was all the convincing for Asad. It never occurred to him to send off the hotel staff. Or maybe it did.

Allah Miyan, please knock me unconscious. This is so embarrassing!

Asad opened the door for her, closely following, missing the quiet high five behind them.

***

"Oh my god, I can't believe you did that. Aloe vera? Aha?" Najma rolled over with glee "Poor bhaijaan's and Zoya's faces were priceless"

"Well, the Romeo and Juliet do need a little push, don't they" Noshini winked.

Of course, they had seen them. In the middle of a crowded dargah, they both moved in slow motion looking into each other's eyes. That was hardly unnoticeable.

Najma's eyes had almost bugged out seeing all that jhumka action. Noshini had noticed. She was sure to tell Dilshad Aapa and Noshini didn't know the mother's plans for her son. So, she ran to contain the damage and 'Mission Asya' had been born. Asad's baby sister had lovingly took parts of their names and combined them.

But Noshini had deemed it a secret, only to involve more people when they were sure of it.

"Thank god, bhaijaan bought the explanation of 'needing a girl' to pick the correct kind of aloe vera"

"Didn't you notice, Zo did too. Didn't protest once"

"I tell you; they voluntarily look for time to spend with each other. How could I have not known this before." Najma kicked herself.

"Remember them walking side by side at the lake today. Almost slowing down to be away from the group"

"Yes! Yes! Okay I'm not going crazy then because I felt that too. But it was so out of character for bhaijaan that I couldn't comprehend."

"Well, you better get ready to comprehend." This and much more, she finished.

***

The clouds that rolled in the morning had managed to lock the heat in, so stepping outside was like marching through a sauna.

Zoya wiped the sweat off her brow and offered the bottle of water to her walking buddy. When he refused, she shrugged and took a slug of water.

The macho man is going to fall from dehydration.

"So, what kind of nursery would you suggest checking?"

"Nursery? For aloevera?" Zoya let out a loud laugh when Asad stood by his question, serious.

"Mr. Khan, I don't think they expect us to carry a whole plant into the room. Look, there's a drug store, we can check if they carry its gel there."

"Oh" he mumbled, feeling stupid. "I guess everyone is really tired today" he continued to change the topic.

"Everyone but us apparently, since we are the chore boys"

He smiled easily; discomfort gone. He adored that about her, she didn't let embarrassment seep in simply. Asad paid for the gel and they started their brief walk back to the hotel.

The area surrounding the place of their stay was built old, a part of its beauty and appeal. The night market was hustling and bustling, lights hanging from the tarps to illuminate various handicrafts.

Zoya moved at her own pace. When Asad didn't feel her presence beside him, he turned to see her admiring some ceramic bowls at a distance.

"Phuphi would love this for when she makes her signature kheer" she said when he approached. "Oh! and this handbag for tamatar, she'd been gushing about these ever since we got here"

Asad nodded politely.

"Wow, you are such a help Jahapanah".

His hand found its spot on the forehead "Miss Faaroqui, shall we now, it's been twenty minutes?" he said gesturing a hand towards the road.

"Pay karne ke baad hi jayenge Mr. Khan. Ab main aise hi lekar bhaag jau kya" When he pulled his wallet out, Zoya glared.

"Don't you dare! Ever heard of something called gifts. These are from me" she announced smugly. He put his wallet back in. He would be lying if he pretended that didn't please him. Her bond with his family was something he always cherished.

Bolting the lock to his hotel room, it was only later at night getting ready for bed, when he realized she had only bought three bowls.

***