72

nine days is enough time for the world to end

SEVEN MONTHS LATER. MAY, 2011.

"IF I DON'T FIGURE OUT WHAT THE HELL I'M GOING TO SAY IN MY SPEECH, I'M JUST NOT GOING TO GRADUATE."

"As Valedictorian, I don't think that's an option," Caroline tilts her head from where she was lying on Athena and Stefan's bed, watching Athena curl the ends of her hair. "Also, I don't know how you managed to get Valedictorian. I feel like I didn't even go to school for half this year,"

Athena hummed, wrapping a piece of her long dark hair around the curling iron. "I'm just crazy talented like that. Also, geometry class is like nothing, compared to participating in a ritualistic sacrifice to help a thousand-year-old vampire make hybrids."

She stops, holding the curl in place for a moment before releasing it slowly to turn around on her vanity seat and look at Caroline. "Speaking of, have you heard from him recently?"

Brief panic flashes in the blonde's eyes and Athena's observant nature doesn't miss it, even as she hides it with nonchalance. "Why would I have heard from Klaus? I'm pretty sure he talks to you more than me,"

Athena narrows her eyes and stares silently at Caroline until the blonde starts to fidget, and finally cave under her piercing stare with a loud, dramatic groan.

"Fine! Fine," Caroline huffs, sitting up on the bed and combing out her hair from where it'd been ruffled against the pillow. "He's somewhere in the Appalachians training his new hybrids, and that's all I know. He's been busy."

"He's been gone for three months," Athena notes lightly. "But Rebekah made him promise he'd be here to see her graduate."

"So, he's got a week and two days."

Athena's face scrunches up in brief distaste as she drops the last strand of hair and reaches to unplug the curling iron. "Don't remind me. Not only do I have to figure out a speech, but I have to figure out how to make a graduation cap look good on me. Not to mention the disgrace that they call gowns,"

"I really, really can't wait to hear your speech," Caroline notes, a tone of sarcasm in her voice as she stands up. "Maybe you can just stand up there and talk about how stupid everyone is, and how much you hated school."

"I know you're being sarcastic, but I will do that and ruin the day for everyone."

Caroline scoffs, heading for the door. "I'm going to pick up Bonnie. You want a ride?"

Athena shakes her head, standing from her chair. "No, I'm riding with Stefan," She pauses momentarily, rolling her eyes. "Whenever he's done hiding from me, that is!"

"I'm not hiding from you," Stefan's in the doorway before she's even done talking and Caroline snorts, pushing past him with a brief farewell. "I'm not hiding from you."