Chapter 2

As we collided, his figure knocked Lizzy's bad leg and she winced as minor pain throbbed against her skin. She was about to push past him-she didn't needed confrontation on her first day back-but his surprisingly strong arms held her in place.

He had a crooked grin on his lips, and dirty-actually filthy blonde hair. She was taken aback that he was so...gifted in features.

"Either your looking for trouble bumping in to a jet or your clueless pretty girl needed an assist back to her home." He smirked and looked back at the pack he was traveling with. They chuckled to each other and Lizzy regonized one of them as Tommy Lampson, the  boy who had made fun of her all those years ago.

And what why were they calling themselves Jets? She ignored that bit and took advantage of the information she knew.

"Hey Tommy, how's your basketball career going?" She offered her own, sly grin before shoving the blonde boy holding her away.

His neck snapped back to her, flabbergasted that she had slipped out of his grip.

The other jets looked at Tommy and shoved him in between laughs. His cheeks burned. "It's Mouthpiece." He studied her for a moment more. "Shit! It's Anderson, that girl that got stabbed."

Before she could cause anymore unwanted attention, Lizzy dived into an ally and speed walker away from the group, her leg aching more the usual.

"Hey!" The blonde boy's voice called after her. "We ain't done talkin."

"Yes, yes we are!" Lizzy answered and found herself lost on a completely different street. "shit." She mumbled under her breath.

"Lost girly girly?" The blonde boy jogged to be at her side. People started to avoid him by at least 3 feet, and horrifyingly Lizzy realized her as well.

She ignored him and held her Doc's bag tighter to her body.

"Hey girly girly you could at least offer me a name," He tugged at her her shoulder, and with one swift move and an obvious struggle with her leg, she slapped him across the face like the crack of a whip.

"Just ask Tommy-or Mouthpiece." Lizzy continued to make her way down the street, looking for signs as to clue where she was.

"57th by the way!" The blonde boy shouted to her.

Lizzy turned back. "What?"

She found that his cheeks were filled with color, and he was smiling like a fool. "We're on 57th street. And the names Riff."

Without another word, Riff disappeared into the alley, leaving Lizzy looking like a fool in the middle of the sidewalk. She quickly hurried on to 50th, where her line of apartments lied.

As she walked, she couldn't quite get the blonde boy-Riff, out of her head. Jet. He called himself a jet. What was a jet? Of course she knew that the exact term was a medal machine that soared in the air, Riff was human.

When she realized she had spent the majority of her time walking thinking of him, she put an end to it immediate and wondered how her mother was holding up with her grandparents.

There had been a not to small fight between the two when Lizzy had confirmed she was leaving. Her mother had gaslighted and guilt tripped her for years to stay, but it was really her grandfather who had told her to go. The scholarship would get her somewhere, staying on that farm would not.

Her mother was a complicated woman, and everyday Lizzy had to remind herself that that complicated woman loved Lizzy more than anything, and she would understand. However the fight had been horrible. Lizzy, half-sobbing, half-screaming packed her things and left within the hour, barely getting a goodbye out to her grandparents. It was only a week ago.