The Story of the Princess and the Dragon

Once upon a time, in a kingdom, far far away lived a young princess, along with her father, the King, and her mother, the Queen. The King and Queen were kind and fair, they loved their precious daughter with all their heart.

All seemed right in the small kingdom, until one day when the Queen suddenly and without warning died. The King devastated with the loss of his beloved Queen, turned into a cold hearted tyrant, obsessed with power and money. Greed turned him into a monster.

"A monster?" A voice breaks through breaks through the story.

Lucy shakes her head, the way Kayla told the story, it felt liked she got transferred into it. Like she could see it with her own eyes.

"You know the story as well as I do. So shut up or I won't finish it."

"Fine." Igneel says, turning over in his sister's lap.

"Good." She continues the story.

The kind princess received the bulk of the King's coldness. He ignored her, and made her feel unloved.

This treatment would be enough to turn anyone equally as cold, but not this princess. She kept her mother's kindness in her heart, no matter how bad her father treated her.

One particularly bad day, when it seemed that no one in the whole kingdom remembered her birthday. The young princess took refuge in the castle garden watching the clouds roll by, like she did with her mother. When she saw something she couldn't believe.

She saw a dragon. Her father told her they were extinct.

The dragon majestically flew over the castle gardens. The princess swore she would one day be free and see that beautiful creature once again. She secretly hoped that he would come back and save her from this life. But she knew, from her books, that dragons didn't like to meddle in human affairs after the battle between dragons and humans, when the first dragonslayers were born.

For many long years, she suffered and endured the King's harsh treatment. Until he decided that she must marry a prince from a neighboring kingdom. But the princess, who was an idealist like her mother, wanted to marry for love. So one night after everyone in the kingdom went to sleep, she packed up some clothes and escaped out the window. Never once looking back.

She made a stop at her mother's grave and apologized. She endured as long as she did to make her mother proud.

She promised her mother that she would one day visit her. After she had found her dragon, fallen in love, and found a new family, she'd come back with the strength to confront her father.

She walked and walked until she reached a small port town.

There she met a man, who claimed the prince of strong kingdom. A place where fairies roamed free, a place where people were happy.

For some reason, the princess found herself completely smitten of the "prince'. Until an odd man, with a tiny blue bird, came and snapped her out of his spell. Not on purpose though, he was kind of an idiot.

Igneel laughs sleepily. "Yep he was an idiot."

Layla places her hand over her brother's mouth. "No more talking."

The young princess took the man out to dinner to lunch to thank him. They talked for hours.

The princess thanked the man again and left. And let's just say he made a little scene, that made her very embarrassed.

As the princess walked down the quiet streets of the port town. She wondered if she'd ever find a place to call home.

Just then the 'prince' found her and promised her he'd take her to his kingdom, the kingdom of fairies, where she'd fit in automatically.

She knew he was a dirty liar but she so wanted to go there. So she, very stupidly, agreed.

That night, on the 'prince's' ship, the princess and a whole bunch of other girls began the journey to the kingdom.

It only took a short amount of time before the princess realized that the 'prince', was a huge fake. She confronted him. But all he did was laugh, he grabbed her arm and tried to tie her up.

But the princess was stronger than she looked. Though, she was not strong enough to take out the evil 'prince's' goons.

Just when she thought all hope was lost, a bright light began to shine in the sky.

It was the man, who saved her the first time.

Fire formed around him, he was like a dragon. She was in awe. Something clicked inside of her, she knew as long as she was near him, she'd be safe.

The dragon-boy rescued the princess and the other girls. He had made a 'little' mess of the town, though.

The boy looked down at the girl. "Do you know who I am?"

"No." She said timidly.

He laughed, it was loud and captivating, "I am the dragon-prince, of the Fairy Kingdom."

"Really?" She said, she looked up and stared into his eyes, she couldn't look away.

"Yes, you should come with me."

She was speechless.

He gripped her hand. "Let's go."

She laugh. "Ok."

He pulled her behind him. "We better hurry, because here comes the army."

She couldn't help but giggle, she was never one for getting in trouble. But this man had gotten her into trouble not once, but twice in one day.

When they reached the kingdom, the princess was welcomed with open arms. She had never felt more at home, or loved since her mother was alive.

Her new family, was odd and not exactly what she pictured but it was perfect none the less.

Her and dragon-boy became best friends. Sure they faced many hardships, but they were worth it.

She even confronted her father, after he tried to attack the Fairy Kingdom. They were her family, they cared about her when he didn't. He had no right to attack them.

During the years, the battles, the good times, and bad times, the prince and princess fell in love. She had found her dragon.

They got married and lived happily ever after, mostly.

Layla looks down to see her sleeping brother. She smiles before nodding of herself.