43

"Oh, shit! Oh shit!" he repeated. "What am I supposed to do? We didn't practice if it was going to happen at prom."
I had been having contractions for a little while today, but I had assumed that they were just Braxton-Hicks and I had nothing to worry about. "Let's just find Jaden and Nessa so we can tell them that we're leaving," I began, taking a deep breath. "We will call our parents on the way. My mom will bring the overnight bag. We will figure it all out, okay?"

Josh led me through the throngs of people, stopping when we found Jaden and Nessa dancing together. 
"Hey, man," Josh began, "she's going into labor. We've got to hit the road. We just didn't want you guys to be worried about where we went." 
"What do you mean? We're taking you!" Jaden insisted.
"No, you don't have to do that," Josh replied. 
"Can we stop this?" I asked. "I'm in some pain here."

Jaden and Nessa led us out to the parking lot, and we got in his car. "Haley, can you call your mom, or do you need one of us to do it?" 
I groaned. "Um, someone else please do it. I'm trying to time my contractions." 
Jaden pulled over. "I'm coming back there, okay, Haley? I'm gonna time your contractions while Josh calls everyone that needs to be contacted," Nessa stated, not giving any of us a choice.

She and Josh switched spots, and she held my hand. "Squeeze my hand whenever you have a contraction, okay? I'll keep track for when we get to the hospital." 
This was the only downside to living about a half-hour from the nearest hospital. I was really hoping that I wasn't about to give birth in the back of Josh's car, because that certainly wasn't going to go well for anyone. 

Josh was on the phone, presumably with my mom. "Hey, Ma. Haley's water broke at prom. We're headed to the hospital. No, Jaden is driving. We left about ten minutes ago. I haven't called my mom yet. Yes. I'm not going to answer that. She might hit me if I do. Yes. I'll keep you updated. We'll see you there, Ma. Yes. Thank you. We love you too." 
He hung up, and Jaden glanced at him. "What did she say?" 
"She's going to meet us there. She asked if Haley is okay, and she's going to call my family. How are you doing back there, babe?" 

I groaned again as another contraction hit. "I, uh, I'm, ooh, this hurts," I answered. "How long until we get to the hospital? I need this kid out of me right now." 
"That's not exactly how this works, honey," Nessa interjected.
"Shut up!" I yelled. "I'm in so much fucking pain right now. I don't want to be pregnant anymore." 
"I know, babe," Josh replied from the front seat. "We're gonna get to the hospital really soon, and you're going to have this baby. We're going to hold our daughter, and it's all going to be worth it, okay?" 

Somehow, his little pep talk made me forget about the pain for just a second. Before I could really enjoy the lack of pain, another contraction quit. "That one was definitely closer," I groaned. "How far apart were those two?" 
Nessa looked at her phone. "That was just shy of three minutes," she noted. "We're gonna be at the hospital in about ten minutes. Stay as calm as  you can, okay?" 
She was really not making it better, but she had been way too kind to me the last few months, so I had to make sure that I wasn't taking her for granted. 

We pulled into the emergency room bay, and Josh, Nessa, and I got out. "I'm parking the car. You three, go inside. Get her all checked in, and I'll meet you in the waiting room, okay, Nessa?" 
The three of us went inside, and Nessa pulled a wheelchair from by the door, motioning for me to sit down in it. 
"Hello, how can we help you, today?" the receptionist asked. 
"Hi, my girlfriend went into labor at prom," Josh explained. 
She handed him some paperwork. "I'm going to give you this. Are all of us going back into the room today?" 
Nessa shook her head. "No, I'm going to stay out here. My boyfriend will be here soon, and we're gonna sit out here while she gives birth." 

As soon as the words were out of her mouth, Jaden walked in, joining us at the receptionist's desk. "Okay, we're going to take you to labor and delivery, okay? Follow me, please." 
She led us through the hallway to the elevator, and we all got on. I reached up to grab Nessa's hand, squeezing it again as another contraction hit. "Oh, God. How far apart were those two?" 
"Still three minutes, sweetie." 
"That's good that you've been timing those," the receptionist added. "That will really help the nurses and the doctor." 
"I've never been on an elevator for so long," I grunted. "Can I have this baby yet?" 

We rolled out of the elevator and onto the labor and delivery floor. The nurses' station was directly next to the elevator, and a nurse greeted us. "We will take it from here," she told the receptionist that had brought us up. 
Josh was giving her my information, but I couldn't really focus on what he was saying as I felt another contraction coming on. 

Another nurse led Jaden and Nessa to the waiting room, and the first nurse and Josh helped me change out of my prom dress and into a hospital gown. 
"How long until I get to meet this baby?" I asked through clenched teeth as yet another contraction hit me. 
"Hopefully soon, sweetheart," the nurse said. "My coworker, Renee, is going to be in soon, and she will check to see how far along you are. Sit tight, and Josh, was it? Keep track of how far apart her contractions are."