8. The Quidditch match

Every days.

For two weeks. 

A whole fortnight.

She had seen him every day of the past weeks. In every corner of the castle, waving from the other side of one hallway, naturally in class, or laughing with his friends during meals in the Great Hall. Sometimes, she even imagined that she was subject to hallucination, on the grounds that she felt like she was seeing him everywhere. Not by will, of course, why would she? Why on this magical earth would Cassandra Delage see the great Sirius Black everywhere?

First of all, he was an arrogant, cocky, disrespectful boy. Way to sure of himself to her liking. Second of all, he was a well-known man whore, as Remus liked to call it, and Cassandra had the weird feeling, even she couldn't have confirmation, that he was only trying to speak to her just to get into her pants. Even though she hadn't seen him around girls that much for the last weeks, if not at all. Third and last of all, she couldn't, as she was repeating herself again and again for the last fortnight, become friend, or even acquaintance, with Sirius Black, or any other people for that matter. Strict rule that she had problems dealing with.

Indeed, Cassandra wasn't totally indifferent to the boy's presence. Surely, he was probably more getting on her nerves than anything else, but she sometimes couldn't help a small smile crossing her lips when he was cracking a joke or desperately tried way too much to flirt with her.  A smile that she, needless to say, hid behind a cough or a wave of her hair. And even when she was arguing with him, she enjoyed it. It never was a typical argument, like she could have from time to time with her aunt or her friends, it was more electrical. Cassandra liked the sense of control that she could get from those meaningless fights, and the rush that she felt cursing through her body, invigorating her brain. At first, she didn't bother to argue long enough with the boy to felt it, she was just pushing him away, but now that he seemed to be everywhere, she had no other choice than to state clearly her disapproving feelings to Sirius Black, with the small hope, that was now more and more fading, that he would leave her alone. She hated herself for enjoying her fights with the boy, so she continued to bury every of her feelings far away from her own reach, in the hope of forgetting about these arguments and attend to her own promise of not making any more friends after Remus. She was used to bury feelings, and as for now, she never had any problems with it, as long as they never resurfaced. That is also how she could appear every day as her calm and smiley self, as everyone in the castle knew her.

For the time being, Cassandra sat on the Gryffindor bench quietly eating breakfast on this rainy Sunday morning, with only a dozen other student in the Great Hall, all split between the four tables. She had abandoned Lily, who seemed to have came back very late from her patrol last night and was still sleeping when she woke up. Letting her sleep, Cassandra had bravely withdrawn from her role of morning guard, leaving Lily and her's ritual for another day. Not that Lily minded now that her and Potter had gotten closer, if you could put it like that. On another day, she probably also would have waited for her friend to wake up, but she decided against it considering that there was today a Ravenclaw against Gryffindor match and she wanted to eat her breakfast alone in the quiet before the players and their supporters arose from their slumber. 

Cassandra liked Quidditch but it was sometimes to loud for her to bear and she ended up putting a silencing charm on her ears to continue supporting Marlene, who played Beater on their House team. She thought that if the crowd wasn't that loud she would have liked more watching those games. She would have enjoyed analyzing the players' tactics, how they were chasing each other through the air like ballet dancers repeating their choreography or the feints that they were pulling on each other. The one good thing of having supporters in the stand was to see the emotions playing on their face, from overwhelming joy or admiration, passing through fear or anger. Cassandra was an observer, perhaps not as much as Remus was, because she also liked verbal rhetoric but she definitely enjoyed watching people live their own life and practicing the study of people's display of emotions, to which she was getting really good at.