Chapter 3

Three days after my unlucky meet-up with Indoraptor, I was curled up in my cave. The weather outside was atrocious, with rain pouring down like a waterfall. The pattering of the raindrops echoed round the walls, reverberating into my ears. It was driving me insane. However, it would be stupid to go outside in the downpour. I've heard of dinosaurs catching chills from being outside in this weather. I don't know if that's actually true, but I'm not going to risk it. My den isn't so bad, it has a little stream at the back, so I have a continuous supply of fresh water. And it's dry. The rock floor isn't too comfortable, but my nest makes it better. There's a meadow nearby with lots of soft plants and grasses. Of course, I feel the emptiness of the cave. There is no one for me to share it with. A pack would be brilliant, but there are no velociraptors left. Just me. Velociraptors will eventually go extinct, Indoraptor was right about that. But, I am not going to let down my species. I doubt anyone else could take out the I-Rex and live to tell the tale. As well as taking down the Indoraptor. Except, I haven't exactly done that. Which makes me wonder why he hasn't hunted me down yet. How he survived in the first place, is completely unknown to me. I watched him get impaled on that horn. I felt his heartbeat stop. How on earth was he here? So many questions, but no one to answer them. Apart from Indoraptor himself, but I'm not sure I really felt like asking him. At least my leg was better. It still hurt a little when I walked, but the wound seemed to have nearly closed up, and there were no signs of infection.
     A few hours later, and the rain still hadn't let up. I was growing hungry, and I realised I might actually have to go outside. I wasn't so bothered about get a cold anymore, but rather, of a flood. There is so much rain, even the stream at the back of my cave is swollen. The lake at the centre of my home is bound to overflow. Of course, prey will be fleeing from it's home, making it easy for me to pick them off, but if I'm not careful, I could get caught up in the water too. As I sat, debating with myself on what to do, I heard the squelching noise of an animal coming towards my cave through the mud. An all-too familiar scent drifted to my nose, and I leapt to my feet. Indoraptor! What was he doing here? Oh.. probably to kill me, actually. What a silly question. As he loomed towards the entrance, I growled fiercely. Then I stopped. His manner was not aggressive. It was calm. And, more importantly, dangling from his jaws was a compy. Or, at least, half a compy.
"What are you doing here?" I growled, warningly. "I'm not afraid to fight you. You can't just come to someone's den."
"Mrmmph, mhm pfph hrmm," he said. I stared at him. He rolled his eyes, and ungraciously spat the compy out at my feet.
"I said, 'I caught this for you.'" He muttered.
"Where's the other half?" I asked.
"I ate it. This is to replace the half I stole." He shuffled his feet. "And to say sorry." He added. I stared at him, the decided that it was better than nothing. I hungrily gulped down the compy. He gaped at me, looking appalled.
"You didn't save any for me!" He cried.
"What? You said this was for me!" I retorted.
"But it's basic manners to share!" He said, looking upset.
"Well, I've eaten it now. You should catch more next time." I advised. He hissed at me and turned away. Then, he turned back to me.
"Have you seen the lake?" He asked.
No, I haven't been out." I said. "What's happened?"
"It's flooded. And by a lot. Everything is destroyed. Even my little den." He sniffed, sadly. I almost felt sorry for him. Then, I remembered when he tried to kill me, and I stopped.
"You know," he began, "this little place here ain't so bad. You're far enough away from the lake, and it's well sheltered." He said, with a glint in his eye. Oh. No. I don't believe it. He wants to stay here!
"Of course, I understand if anyone else is here, that it would be wrong for me to intrude, but it seems like it's just you, and it would be a shame to let all the empty space go to waste!" He added, hastily.
"No one else is here, but-"
"Oh, great!" He cried, and rushed into the cave. He shook himself, spraying mud and water everywhere, and flopped down on the floor. He sighed, and curled up. I stared incredulously at him.
"What are you doing?!" I cried. "Look! My den is filthy now! And I didn't even say you could stay!" I snapped. He lifted his head, and did that sad, wounded look that made feel bad.
"B-but I thought, since I have no home, that you would mind...?" He stammered. His eyes bored into mine, and the pupils seemed to dilate bigger than physically possible. Guilt wormed through me.
"All right, just until the flood is gone, you can stay." I sighed.
"Hooray!" He shouted, all traces of sadness gone. He resettled himself, and began to snore loudly, cutting off the conversation. I groaned inwardly. He had played me. Still, it was nice to have company, even if it snored like a pig.

 Still, it was nice to have company, even if it snored like a pig