Ava | Chap. 79

"Katara?"

The stone ceiling of a cold room greeted my sight, my eyes slowly adjusting to my poorly lit surroundings. My entire body was numb from the cold floor, it's icy touch freezing my skin and muscles. My eyes darted around, unable to figure out where I was.

By then, an agonizing pain bloomed in my head, temples screaming at every heart beat. I gave out but a small groan, unable to feel or move my body. A voice reached my ears, but it was drowned and muffled by the sound of my own heartbeat thrumming against my temples.

Slowly, the voice cleared into coherent words. "Ava? Can you hear me dear? Ava!"

My eyes adjusted to the darkness, distinguishing the distinct face of an old women. My heart jumped, tears building at the sight of the old Healer.

"Kira..." My voice was harsh, broken by my parchment dry throat. I struggled to swallow, feeling an urgent need for water. As though she could read my thoughts, Kira's bony head steadily lifted a wooden bowl to my lips, the distinguished smell of water floating to my nostrils.

"Drink." Holding my head, she helped me lift the bowl to my mouth, the fresh liquid sliding effortlessly down my throat, my dry mouth finally quenched from what felt like days without a drop of water.

A gasp escaped my throat as I finished the bowl, my chest heaving with a dry cough. Kira rested my head onto rolled up rags, brushing her fingers gently through my hair.

"Is everyone okay?" I rasped, memories from before flooding back to the surface. I pushed myself up, but my body felt so weak, I struggled for heave my upper body, requiring Kira's assistance to lean myself against the ice cold wall behind me.

I realized then I was held in a large cell, the walls, floor and ceiling made out of nothing but stone. No beds or windows disrupted the frame, our only light source coming from the faint glow of a torch light on a wall which was hidden from my sight. It's light casted stripped shadows on the ground, matching the bars of our cell at an angle.

My view panned through the cell; Ryder had Angel resting in the comfort of his arms, her head cradled on his chest as he gently swayed back in forth in a rocking motion. Winston leaned against the bar of the cell, arms crossed over his large chest while he gazed intently into the dark corridor. Nala sat by his side, her back and head resting against the metal poles whilst she gazed up. Tommy held Tobby tightly in his arms, the boy's weak body limply resting on his lap. Jax paced relentlessly in his spot, walking in circles while his hands brushed nervously through his messy mane.

A weak cough pulled my attention to the cell on my left. I turned my head, unable to distinguish the person laying on the wall until my eyes squinted to adjust. I felt my heart drop, heavy as a boulder when I recognized Cade. He rested limply on the wall, eyes closed and still, sweat, blood and muck covering his entire body. Only the steady rise and fall of his chest confirmed he was still alive. But for how much longer?

Distraught, I pulled myself towars him, pressing my shoulder against the cold bars that stood between us as I reached my hand out to his. "Cade..." My fingers reached his, feeling the claminess of his palm and the heat of his skin.

He was burning up. "What did they do to you?" I whispered, feeling the sting of tears in my eyes. My thumb gently stroked his hand, a gleam of hope blooming in my chest when I felt his fingers twitch and close around my hand.

"Ava..." He huffed, his voice just a breeze within the loud silence. Pain pierced my heart like a bullet. Cade was unrecognizable; his eyes were dull, laking the strength they once portrayed. His skin was pale, shaken by cold shivers and sweat. I turned to Kira, my eyes pleading, hoping she could give me a glimer of hope, but even the sharp tongue Healer seemed lost for words. Could it be even she had lost all hope? Is Cade on the brink of death?

Desperation began to wash over me— I found myself struggling to breathe, taken over by panic and doubt. Amidst the chaos, I could feel Ruby's fear feed my own; Jace was nowhere to be found, causing her to howl anxiously. Forcing my lungs to take slow paced breaths, I cleared my mind and soothed Ruby. I can't let panic get a hold of me, not when my pack needs me the most.

Afraid my voice would echo upstairs and betray my intentions, I spoke over the link. Did anyone find any sort of weakness in the walls? Perhaps a dent in the bars?

We tried... Jax groaned, as he turned a steady gaze towards me. The bars are silver and the walls seemed to be carved directly into stone, too thick for us to punch through.

I cussed under my breath, but refused to give up. Are you sure you checked

"Dam it, Ava, we've been stuck in this hell for five days! While you were off in your little dreamland, we ripped our claws out trying to get out— do you really think we'd still be here if we had found a way out!?" Ryder's voice boomed and echoed inside the cell, striking me like a blow to the face.

Five days... I've been out for five days... While everyone was struggling to find a way out, I was off dreaming into— seems I can't even remember what I saw. Must've been quite the potent drug he used on me.

I passed a hand over my neck, the a certain soreness in the area the needle was injected. Then a memory resurfaced, once again causing my heart to sink in my chest. Zed... he watched me—

A creaking sound echoed throughout the damp cells, a beam of light reflecting onto the cold floor cropped out by the shadow of a man. Footsteps slowly walked down the stairs and the door closed, leaving nothing more than the dim lanterns to illuminate the area. A heavy silence swept the room, broken only by the sound of leather soles agains cold stone. I breathed in a sharp breath, anger bunching my muscles tensly as I took in their scent.

"Ava...?" My body stilled, clenched as if I was bitten in the neck.

I stood up and whirled, facing Zed with hurt striken eyes.

-*-

Drop a like and a comment for more!