Romantic Gesture

"Oh my gosh," Charlie grinned, scrolling through his phone. He and Nick sat down on the latter's sofa, watching a crappy dating show they'd found on a streaming service after half an hour of hopeless searching. In the end, they'd settled for entertaining trash over well made serious drama. "Have you read the school blog?"

"School blog?" Nick questioned, raising an eyebrow. Glancing at the other boy's phone, he looked over the multiple Tumblr posts. Some of the titles seemed less than serious, many of them poking fun at the school and its educators. "Since when do with a school blog?"

"Since Imogen set it up," the boy shrugged, clicking a specific post. He smiled, pushing his phone into Nick's hand. The boy took it, allowing himself to look over the screen. "Look, Nick. It's a poem from this boy to his girlfriend, don't you think that's just adorable?"

"It's kinda cheesy," Nick snorted, reading through the poetry. He smiled at the words, despite the way he cringed at the post. It wasn't all that bad, the first line read 'Sunshine on my fingers, that's what you are to me'. "I mean, couldn't he have like giving it to her privately? Undoubtedly, it would mean so much more."

"It's romantic," Charlie rolled his eyes, poking his boyfriend's peck. Nick beamed, handing the boy his boyfriend back before stealing a sweet kiss. Charlie flushed, the boy's lips still taking some getting used to. The shudders that ran through his limbs were almost overwhelming, an embrace to every one of his nerve endings. "Don't you think confessing your love to the world is quite beautiful?"

"Not really," Nick shrugged.

"Well, I do...," Charlie grinned. His eyes fell back to the television, widening as they lines up each of the dates on screen. Nick couldn't help but smile at how invested the boy seemed in every little part of life. "Now, shhh. They are about to eliminate the next contestant."

"Hey," Nick chuckled, "you were the one who started speaking."

"No," Charlie giggled. Nick grinned, turning and tickling his boyfriend's stomach. "Hey, stop that. It tickles...,"

"Well, duh...," Nick laughed, peppering Charlie's face with kisses in between the movements of his fingers, each representative of how much devotion he held for his man. Charlie giggled lightly, ultimately stopping as Nick placed a final kiss on his lips. "I love you, you know that?"

"I love you too,"

~~~

"It's so romantic," Charlie hopped on the balls of his feet to look over the crowd of students in the hallway, angling his body towards Nick. He didn't touch the boy, knowing they were in school and he didn't want to come out. "Don't you think?"

"What?" Nick beamed at the boy's excitement, leaning back against his locker. As Charlie indicated across the room, to where a guy was openly serenading his girlfriend with a guitar, Nick raised an eyebrow. His whole body tightened at the action. "Eww, Char. No...,"

"What?" The boy laughed. He looked back towards the serenade, a full-body sigh suggesting his being had taken on a heavenly state. Nick watched him, the way his eyes sat wide and twinkly. The way he bounced, clapping a little too hard as it was over. The older boy smiled.

"You really love these romantic acts, don't you?" He asked. Charlie glanced his way, cocking his head. He smiled widely.

"I just like seeing people happy," he responded. Turning towards his locker, still grinning, he dragged out a few of the books he required for the next periods. "Don't you adore the smiles they share?"

"No," Nick confessed. His hand fell to his stomach, a small shrug. "Truthfully, it makes me feel kind of queasy because I imagine myself doing it. Uh, Charlie. That's not something you want, is it? You aren't hinting...,"

"Of course not, Nick." The boy laughed loudly, turning towards his boyfriend with a shake of his head. He shuffled slightly closer. "I know you are a low key guy, not prepared to come out. Even if you were out, it's not something you'd enjoy. I like watching these gestures, I don't require them. Like, I watch nature documentaries but I don't want to live with a Lion."

"Really?" The older boy murmured, voice so low Charlie laboured to hear. "I just hate to think...,"

"Really," Charlie giggled. "Hey, it's adorable you being the unsure one for a change. I love you, okay? I love you as you, not one of those soppy romantics...,"

"I love you too...,"

~~~

His world slowing, Nick ran forward and booted the ball with all the strength he could conjure in his foot. He could hear the holler of the crowd, Charlie's voice just a little bit louder than the rest. He observed, not blinking, as his ball soared through the post and brought his team to a win.

He dropped to his knees, grinning as his teammates ran to him and stacked on top of his body. He laughed loudly as they picked him up, his eyes falling straight to Charlie in the crowd. The boy jumped, clapping his hands, and screaming with his friends.

Chewing his lips, Nick's hand slipped to the pocket of his shorts. A square box sat there, ready for the moment they'd won the game. He'd promised himself...

Throwing himself down from his teammates, he quickly ran toward his boyfriend despite the nervousness of the moment. He disregarded the odd looks, smiling as he clutched Charlie's hand and pulled him to the middle of the field.

"Nick," the boy smiled. He reddened, glimpsing around as he realised that all eyes were upon them. "What are you doing?"

"Something romantic," Nick smiled, turning towards him. Taking a nuanced breath, settling nausea in his stomach, he got down to one knew. "Char...,"

"Woah," the younger gasped, shaking his head. He flushed further, jerking his hands to prevent the man from speaking. Many members of the student body walked closer, eyes widening at the box the oh so popular Nick Nelson held. "Nick, no. Just no. I'm not ready to marry...,"

"What?" The man frowned. He glanced down at the box and the ring, eyes widening. He gasped, shaking his head so quickly that he fell light-headed. "No, Char. No. Oh, God, no. This is a promise ring, it's just a promise ring."

"Nick?"

"I know you like romance," the older man spoke plainly, loud enough for everyone to hear. He heard slight snickers from the team, ignoring them and concentrating on his boyfriend. "I know it makes you smile and I know you need it in your life, no matter what you say. I'm shitting myself right now, I literally feel sick, but I love you so much and I want everyone to know how I feel about my boyfriend. You are the best thing that's ever happened to me, I've been a better man since the first hi's we shared. Char, you are my world. I want to promise myself you, will you accept?"

"Nick," the boy chuckled, flushing. He squatted in front of the man, kissing him gently. "You really didn't have to do this but thank you. It's so special you'd do this for me. I love you too. Yes, I will promise myself to you."

"Really?" Nick grinned.

"Really?"

Nick shakily rose, struggling to slip the ring onto Charlie's middle finger with how much he shuddered. Charlie grinned, helping him. They shared a second kiss, Charlie pulling back only slightly.

"No more public announcements," he mumbled, earning a hum. "I know you don't like them. This one has been enough for a lifetime. Thank you."

"Are you sure?" Nick asked, though his voice held great relief. Charlie grinned, stealing one last kiss before pulling away.

"I'm sure...," he smiled. Wrapping an arm around the man, they began towards the changing rooms. "Now wash up and meet me at the gates when you are ready, I'm taking you out for a milkshake."

"Now," Nick grinned, "that's my perfect kind of romantic gesture."