Chapter Seventeen

Estella didn't expect to run into Jason's long lost older sister. But then again, there was a lot of things happening that Estella had never expected.

Estella stood next to Leo—who looked stunned. She resisted the urge to roll her eyes. Leo fell for another pretty girl. Not that Estella could blame him. Thalia was extremely hot, even if the only thing that resembled her to Jason, was the electric blue eyes.

Jason and Thalia stood there facing each other for a few moments, staring at each other. But then, Thalia rushed forward and wrapped her arms around Jason in a tight hug.

"My gods! She told me you were dead!" Thalia says, gripping Jason's face and seemingly examining him. "Thank Artemis, it is you. That little scar on your lip—you tried to eat a stapler when you were two!"

Leo let out a laugh, causing Estella to elbow him, but even she gave a slight amused smile.

Hedge nodded like he approved of Jason's taste. "Staplers —excellent source of iron."

"W-wait," Jason stammered. "Who told you I was dead? What happened?"

At the cave entrance, one of the white wolves barked. Thalia looked back at the wolf and nodded, but she kept her hands on Jason's face, like she was afraid he might vanish. "My wolf is telling me I don't have much time, and she's right. But we have to talk. Let's sit."

As soon as Thalia uttered those words, Piper collapsed. She would have busted her head open on the hard cave floor, if not for Hedge quickly catching her.

Thalia rushed over. "What's wrong with her? Ah—never mind. I see. Hypothermia. Ankle." She frowned at the satyr. "Don't you know nature healing?"

Hedge scoffed. "Why do you think she looks this good? Can't you smell the Gatorade?"

Thalia looked at Leo with an accusative glare, as if it was his fault.

"You two and the satyr," Thalia ordered, "take this girl to my friend at the entrance. Phoebe's an excellent healer."

"It's cold out there!" Hedge said. "I'll freeze my horns off."

Estella bit her lip, looking at Jason. And then at Leo and Hedge. She knew that they needed alone time. "Come on guys," she tells them. "These two need time to talk."

"Humph. Fine," the satyr muttered. "Didn't even get to brain anybody."

Hedge carried Piper toward the entrance. Estella and Leo were about to follow when Jason called, "Actually, guys, could you, um, stick around?"

Estella glanced at Leo and then at Jason and she saw something she hadn't expected. Fear in Jason's eyes. He was scared. Scared of what, Estella wasn't sure. But she knew one thing—Jason needed the support of his friends. And Leo knew that too.

Leo grinned. "Sticking around is my specialty."

Thalia clearly wasn't happy about it, and Estella felt about that, but Jason is her friend, and if he wanted them to stay, then they both will.

The four of them sat around the blazing campfire. No one spoke for a few minutes, just looking at each other awkwardly. Jason stared at his sister like she was something to be scared of. Thalia looked at her brother like she was in some kind of amazed trance. Estella noticed that Leo took a few pieces of copper wire out of his pockets and twisted them together. Estella merely started fiddling with her fingers nervously.

It was Leo who broke the silence. "So ... the Hunters of Artemis. This whole 'not dating' thing—is that like always, or more of a seasonal thing, or what?"

"Leo," Estella hissed.

Thalia gave him a glare.

Jason kicked him in the shin. "Don't mind Leo. He's just trying to break the ice. But, Thalia ... what happened to our family? Who told you I was dead?"