Chapter Twenty-One

I take a seat at the table, opening my laptop. I look at the blank screen. Maybe I've been going about this all wrong.

Soulmate Scanner wasn't developed to match a person with the love of their life. It was created to aid you in finding the one. It's an "everything happens for a reason" type of theory.

I pull the device closer to me and start typing.

***

The elevator doors slide open and the busy atmosphere floods my senses. People are rushing around. The smell of burnt coffee, and sweat float through the air. I walk with purpose out of the elevator to my office. I glance at Jen's desk on my way, but it's still empty. When I walk inside my office, a sense of confidence washes over me. The euphoria only lasts for a second though, before my name is yelled.

"Davis!" I toss my bag on my desk and make my way to Mr. Bucher's office.

I won't lie, a little part of me missed his irritated voice. He is sitting at his desk with Hudson across from him. I sit down next to Hudson. He greets me with a smile, and I am satisfied that it is no longer awkward between us.

"Glad to see you are back and healthy, Davis."

"Glad to be back, Sir."

"Look, I'm going to make this short and sweet. Corporate will be here any minute and so will Mr. Cunnings. I need one of you to greet Corporate and one of you to greet Mr. Cunnings. Davis," he turns his clasped hands towards me, "you have spoken with Mr. Cunnings before, so I would prefer for you to handle him. Thomas, I want you to greet Corporate."

"Right." Hudson responds. "But I think the first step in making a good impression is not calling them corporate." Mr. Bucher gives Hudson a deadpan look. "Sorry, Sir."

"Get out of my office, now. Both of you."

Hudson and I stand and exit Mr. Bucher's office. He walks down the hall beside me. "I can't believe you thought it was a good idea to make a joke."

"It's all part of my charm," he winks, earning a laugh from me. The humor sizzles out between us. "How are you doing?"

I grin. "I'm on my way to being okay." It's a small moment we share, but it's enough to calm my nerves. The elevator doors open and a herd of people come into view, a small, red-headed woman walks in the center of them. "Go get 'em." I nudge Hudson with my elbow, and he saunters to the crowd. I stand in view of them and cross my arms, watching his successful attempt to make Melissa Ingrim blush. I will never understand how girls fall for that.

He leads her to the conference room, and then it's my turn. The elevator slides open again. I straighten my skirt and walk to the doors. Mr. Cunnings takes a step from the vinyl of the elevator to the thin carpet of the office. Ms. Green follows closely behind.

"Good morning Mr. Cunnings," I greet them. "Ms. Green." I shake both of their hands.

"Good morning, Mrs. Davis. Is Mr. Thomas not here again?" Mr. Cunnings asks, scanning the room.

"He is already in the conference room with the head of our department, Melissa Ingrim."

"I didn't know I was being greeted by so many people in this meeting."

"You are a valued client, Mr. Cunnings." I smile.

"Yes, well, shall we get this started?"

"Right this way, Sir," I gesture in the same direction as the conference room.

The conference room is packed full, more people to witness my failure. Hudson introduces me to Mrs. Igrim, and I politely shake her hand. Then, it's my turn to introduce my guests to every party in the room. Mr. Cunnings shakes Hudson's hand while commenting, "I wasn't sure you were real, Mr. Thomas, with how little I have interacted with you." I hide my smile.