Goodbyes

Maya's POV

As we walked, Hal drove past us, towards the front on his bike. Dad was in the back with Anne, talking. I think they might become a couple.

"Sis, are we almost there?" Matt asked me.

"Yeah, we are bub. Just a few more miles." I told him, smiling. "You guys want to hear an interesting fact about where we are?" I asked them.

"Yeah, mommy/sure." They told me.

"Back then this used to be Bartlett Hill. About 400 years ago, this was all Penn cook settlement." I told them.

"What happened to them?" Oliver asked me.

"Well, they were wiped out by smallpox back then." I explained.

"Babe, your just like your dad, telling them about history." Chris told me, kissing my forehead, smiling.

I laughed, knowing he was right, as the kids ran ahead of us.

Time skip: a few hours

Chris POV

We finally came to a resting point.

"Look around for supplies." the Commander told us.

"I'll look. You can watch the kids." I told Maya. 

She nodded, taking the kids into a house, exploring it.

I saw Anne and Tom go inside a store and decided to follow them. We didn't find much inside it.

Oliver's POV

Matt, sissy, and I were with mommy looking around house, but we got bored.

"Mommy, can we play outside?" I asked her.

"Yeah, you can, but stay somewhere I can see you." She told us.

We ran outside and played soccer with the other kids. As we played with the others, Matt went and sat down.

Chris POV

"I'll go with you, Tom." I told him.

"No, Chris. Stay with Maya and the kids." he told me.

"No, you need me. I am one of the best soldiers here. Maya can watch the kids and Matt." I told him.

"He's right, dad. I can watch the little ones. And I'll feel safer, knowing you had people you can trust with you. Take Hal and Chris with you, they know this city and are good with their weapons." Maya told him.

Maya POV

Finally, dad agreed. Chris went to the kids as I went with dad and Hal to Matt. I listened as dad told him; they were leaving.

"You'll be there, right?" Matt asked dad.

"Will you give this party a rest?" Hal said.

"Quiet, Hal." I told him sharply.

"Yeah, I'm gonna try to be there." Dad said

"I already know what I'm gonna wish for." Matt said.

"Yeah, what's that?" I asked.

"Well, I can't tell you." He said

"Yes, you can. I'm you big sister. It's a rule in the sibling handbook. You can tell your older siblings anything." I told him.

"Are you sure?" He asked me.

"Of course, I am." I told him.

"How else you think you're gonna get what you ask for?" Hal told him.

"Well, I wish everything was just back the way it was--our house, your house, my bike, school, my Ripskik, and Ben...and mom." He told us.

In that moment I wished for everything the go back as it was before and promised I would make my youngest brother dream come true.

"I thought you didn't like school." Dad said.

"Well, I like it now. Dad, I just want everything back the way it was." He said.

"Come here." Dad told Matt.

Matt came forward and dad hugged him picking him up.

"So, do I. So do I." He said "It's gonna get better." Dad told him kissing him.

After that Hal and I looked at each other and we both picked up Matt tickling him. Matt went to go hi-five Hal but missed.

"So slow" Hal said.

But then Matt got him the second time

"Faster than you, up here." Matt told him.

They said bye to each other, while I told Matt to go with the kids.

Hal POV

As I said bye to Matt I walked towards my sister.

"You better be careful out there." She told me.

"I will, promise." I told her.

"And watch out for dad. And stick close to Chris, he will keep you safe." She continued.

"I promise. Just keep yourself and my niece and nephew safe, while I'm gone. I know they will be safe here with you and Matt too." I told her.

She hugged me tightly before giving me a kiss on my cheek and handing me ammo and food. 

"Be safe. Remember, I love you, little H." She whispered to me.

"I will. I love you too, Big M." I told.

She walked off towards dad saying goodbye before she went towards Chris and the kids.

Chris POV

As I was packing, I saw Maya coming towards me.

"You almost ready?" She asked.

"I am. Just waiting for you." I told her.

"Be safe and come home to me." She told me.

"I will and I'll bring back our family safely." I told knowing how she is with her dad and brothers. 

"God, I love you, mi amore." She said kissing me.

"I love you, mi amore." I told her as we separated, I heard her dad calling me over.